Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By Matt Madamba BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
Matt Madamba BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

Matt Madamba

Catching Fire is a fantasy book that was written by Suzanne Collins. It takes place in a future world after the former country of America was destroyed. The new country in its place is Panem, which is split into twelve districts and a capital. The capital, The Capitol, forces the districts to send two participants to participate in a death match called The Games. Who ever won was given a new house in their district. Katniss Everdeen, the main character, participated in last years Games but has compete in it a second consecutive year because it is the Quarter Quell, a special games after every twenty-five years. This leads into the plot of the story and has many different meanings.

One reason why I like this book is because of how it successfully uses literary merits. One such literary merit is a catalyst for change which is represented by Katniss. The change part is wanting the upheaval of the government. Katniss is unknowingly the “leader” of a rebellion against the cruel government of Panem. Leader isn’t really the word, more of a mascot. She inadvertently started the rebellion by cheating the government in the previous Games. The government had been angry about this, not only because they were made a fool of by a sixteen year old girl, but also because it started uprisings throughout the country. Katniss also wears a Mockingjay pin which is the symbol of the rebellion. This is a way Catching Fire shows a catalyst for change.

Overall, Catching Fire was a good book. I believe it will appeal to many readers. Suzanne Collins is able to express characters feeling thoroughly even while adding large doses of violence and suspense into the story. I think Catching Fire is a good book for anyone to read.

This Book was AWESOME!!!!!!

Read all of them!!!

MangaLover BRONZE, Unalska, Alaska

u know ur in luv when u cant fall asleep cuz reality is finaly better than ur dreams...

i LOVED this book!! it has suck a suspence full end!!!