Twilight by Stephanie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

September 17, 2009
By alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments

You probably know at least one person who is a crazed and obsessed fan with Stephanie Meyers novel, Twilight, you might think that it is just “some book” and you do not know why people love it so much. You may think that it is not worth the time to read and that you have better things to do. Honestly, I had the same opinion about the novel. I would always say, “What is so good about Twilight? Its is just a 544 page book about a bunch of unrealistic vampires that suck human blood for hunger satisfaction.” However, it is deeper than that, it is about the romance of forbidden love of the handsome, mysterious vampire, Edward Cullen, and the beautiful, shy human, Bella Swan.
The novel starts out as Bella is moving from a hot and humid Phoenix, Arizona, to cold and rainy Forks, Washington to live with her father, Charlie. Bella enrolls at the Forks High School where she meets the family that changes her life, The Cullen's. I would say one of the most awkward moments for Bella would be when she first met Edward and sat next to him in class. Edward was covering his nose because he was trying to control himself from Bella's beautiful scent and after class was over, he raced out of there and tried to change his class. Bella was extremely offended and wanted to confront him about it. Bella knew there was something different about the Cullen's, but she had no idea that they were vampires yet.
As the novel continues, Edward and Bella's love start growing more and more for each other. At one point in the novel, Edward follows Bella to a town where she helps her friends get dresses for a dance. When Bella is alone at night in a dark alley, there are a few guys going toward Bella who want to make some trouble. However, Edward has a power where he can read peoples minds and he heard what those guys were thinking which made him furious. He drives up in his Volvo, almost running the guys over and saves Bella from being hurt in any way. This is the night that Bella realizes Edward Cullen is a vampire.
The rest of the novel leads you through a great deal of adventure, fun, love, romance, and even some violence. Once you start reading the novel, you will not want to put it down to even eat dinner. From someone who knows and went through it, I could not stop until I got to the very last page. When you finish it, you will understand why so many people love it as much as they do. You may even become an obsessed fan as well.
As you may know, the sequel to Twilight the movie, New Moon comes out November 20, 2009. It will be a great opportunity to read Twilight now so you will be caught up and prepared for New Moon the movie if you were planning on seeing it in theatres.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 32 comments.


on Mar. 6 2014 at 12:32 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Oi. I usually try to stay out of YA lit reviews, because frankly, they're so below my reading level that it's not even worth picking them apart. Besides, most everybody Twilight.

It's interesting to me that nobody has pointed out the pretty overtly misogynistic and abusive nature of our heroes' relationship(s).

We have Edward, whom Bella quite literally cannot live without. The book describes her giving herself over to him, trusting him utterly and completely, and other troubling ideas. Edward, for all intents and purposes, owns Bella. She doesn't do anything without him, can't function without him, and can't live without him. Meyer also has a terrible habit of slipping her own religious (she is a Mormon after all) views into her writing. This is seen most prevently in her last book, Breaking Dawn, what with the talk of abortion (which regardless of your stance on the issue, I think everybody agrees "demon baby eating my insides" is a valid reason to terminate a pregnancy) but also in Eclipse, wherein Edward refuses to have sex with Bella until after they're married/she's turned because he could "hurt her".

(which of course he totally couldn't do before when they were enthusiastically making out) This books is poorly written, but most people know that. That's not my gripe with this book. My gripe with this book is that it's damaging. This book promotes gross, problematic, relationship rules which little girls who read and enjoy this series are copying. Stop defending Twilight y'all. It doesn't deserve it.

on May. 1 2012 at 4:30 pm
tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

blue rain i could not agree more. aside from bella's obvious hatred of mother nature's gifts or of life in general unless it has to do with a bunch of 'vegetarian' vampires, she is also way too obsessed with edward. the number of times she begs him to make her a vampire or to have... you know... is frightening and she makes me sick. when my friends and i saw breaking dawn part 1 we called it 'the best comady of the year'!

on Dec. 16 2011 at 3:29 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Can you explain how Twilight was in any way deep?

on Dec. 16 2011 at 3:29 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Can you explain how Twilight was in any way deep?

on Dec. 16 2011 at 3:26 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Adventure? FUN? Did I read the wrong book? It starts out with Bella moving to (as Meyer describes it) the most boring town ever. Bella is basically against fun. She complains about everything being "too green". Well Bella, those are called leaves. Things that grow, unlike your character. But of course you're used to seeing tumble weeds. They're probably in your brain. That's why Edward can't hear your thoughts. The biggest adventure she takes is to Edward's house and the city where she almost gets attacked by a bunch of creeps. No excitement whatsoever. The whole series is melodramatic.

I feel so badly for Robert, because he said himself that he doesn't even like the series and thinks it's bizarre. Yes, a direct word quote from him. He is a good actor, but there's only so much you can do with someone like Edward. 

Twilight is based on a dream the author had, and the story itself is fantasy. But the only thing magical about it is Edward's ability to sparkle. 


Butterfly12 said...
on Apr. 28 2010 at 7:57 am
If you think Twilight is deep and well-written, then books that are actually good would blow your mind.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Feb. 28 2010 at 10:40 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
oh really? i should look into it.

on Feb. 28 2010 at 2:56 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
That EXACT thing happened to me(almost)! i saw the movie and i thought it was good. Then I read the books and i thought they were AMAZING. But then I watched the movie again and i realized that none of them new how to act and the ''plot'' and ''dialogue'' were both boring. After that realization I decided to read the books once more. I can honestly say that i could not get past the first chapter. The ''plot'' is bland and the characters underdeveloped. Also the writing is horrific! there's no adjectives no synonyms NOTHING that even resembles writing.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 9:55 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
Wow, the same exact thing happened with me. I thought this books was really stupid and pointless but once i saw the movie, i fell in love with it and had to read the whole saga. :)

techi<3 said...
on Jan. 4 2010 at 4:06 pm
i love twilight at first i thought it was dumb but then i saw trhe movie and it was pretty good and i started reading the books i just absolutly love the twilight saga!!!

heimana said...
on Oct. 17 2009 at 1:29 pm
Ya she is a great author. I love all the Twilight books. But The Host is also a really awesome book.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Oct. 17 2009 at 11:44 am
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
Yeah, I definitely agree. The book is much better than the movie, however, for those people (including myself) who have not read the book until having seen the movie, I probably would not end up loving it as much as I did.

The movie really helps the reader/viewer get "into" the story and the characters.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Oct. 16 2009 at 9:12 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
thanks :)

and yes i agree

alexam BRONZE said...
on Oct. 16 2009 at 9:11 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
YES I love taylor too..and Edward..honestly i love everyone haha. But the whole saga realy is sooo good and i can't get enough of it haha.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Oct. 16 2009 at 9:10 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
haha thanks :) and same here.

alexam BRONZE said...
on Oct. 16 2009 at 9:09 pm
alexam BRONZE, Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments
Thanks for your feedback :)

And yeah that's pretty much what happened when I read the book, I did not think it would be that great at first, but i read it, and I became obsessed even to go out haha. But yeah, it was an amazing book. I love Stephanie Meyer.

on Oct. 16 2009 at 4:21 pm
ThereIsAlwaysHope GOLD, Belfast, Other
19 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Miles to go before I sleep'
- Robert Frost

love twilight.

it's extremely deep.

well written by the way (:

on Oct. 9 2009 at 2:31 pm
AnnaNana PLATINUM, Corinth, Mississippi
20 articles 0 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live the way you die- All of a sudden: That's the way to go.

I really like this book and I agree with your review. My sister loved twilight and I thought it would be stupid. I ended up going to see the movie with a friend for her birthday and thought "I'll enduer it for her" I ended up loving the movie and going home and reading the entire saga. I'm prety obsessed with it now. I love Taylor!

on Oct. 9 2009 at 9:41 am
I think that this is a good book and that the book is actually better then the movie because it gets more into details and things like that.The book makes the the movie seem 20 times better.

bandgeek67 said...
on Oct. 9 2009 at 9:33 am
i agree i love the book twilight!!!!!