The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

Becca17 said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm:
Great book! Amazing how the author was only 16 years old. It just gives all of us young writers great motivation today. 

hbp1994 replied...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:44 am :

i agree young writers inspired me to become a writer myself i do editorial journalism...

. said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm:
I loved this book and also found it devastating, i really like Johnny, good reveiw, i would suggest reading That was Then This is Now, another one her wonderful books

shelbyyyyyy said...
this was exatctly what i thought

bibo-bobbos said...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 4:01 am:
this is a very good review it helped me a lot in my book review and the story is very nice but with the most dramatic and tragically ending 

Quinney-Bear said...
i had to read this book for school some people thought it was boring but i thought it was a nice cyhange from the other pooks we had to read in class

htrae22 said...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 6:55 am:
i loved this book i could not believe a girl wrote it she is an amazing author i hope she writes more

lszyman96 said...
this book was just absolutely amazing

yetunknown said...
yeah i agree with carmel94. This is one of my fav's.I was shocked a teenage  girl wrote it too,amazing.

Nick1 said...
The book is really good. we read it in class and I still enjoy it. I read the book 3 times and i'm still interested in it.

Carmel94 said...
i loved this book and to find out an girl who was 14 or 16 at the time written it amazed me

Lamb97 replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm :
S.E Hinton was 16.

Danielerr_Kidd said...
this sory keeps you thinking, it was amazing to read, in 8th grade. i enjoyed it very much.. i would recommend this book to anyine who is looking for a good book to read

dustybrowneyes said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 1:28 am:
loved it read it 4 school last year and saw the movie. 1 word                     I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:45 am:

GREAT book. I was in my Life Skills class and I found it nearby when I was sitting and waiting for class to start... so I decided to borrow it. I read it, and I was SO. HAPPY.

The characters were interesting and lively, the plot was a PLOT, it was spontaneous and thrilling, and it taught me rare, valuable morals that more books should possess.

And Ponyboy is a very good kid--he's got a very good head on his shoulders, he's smart, he's got emotion, and he means well, despite bein... (more »)

Nick1 replied...
Oct. 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm :
Im with you this book was very inspiring and was very well written.

jezzyc said...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 1:21 am:

"stay gold Ponyboy... stay gold"

I don't think I've ever been so touched by a book before. I think I've read it maybe...30 times. I just keep goijng back for more <3

sabortooth1 said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm:
Please read the book review of The Kite Runner (search it). Really Inspiring!

twilight_teen14 said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm:
The Outsiders is my favorite booK OF ALL TIME! I loved it! "Stay Gold!"

shortsnort9 said...
May 1, 2010 at 7:34 pm:
this book is one of my favourite of all time. i dont know how i survived in the world without it.

sad_toaster_made_of_glass said...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 8:07 am:
That book was amazing! So glad that I was forced to read it! :)  Good Work on the review.