Catalyst | Teen Ink

Catalyst MAG

By Anonymous

     The stress of college admissions is often the most difficult time in one’s life. Imagine being so confident in your first-choice college that applying to others seems pointless. Bam. “We regret to inform you ... ” Catalyst is a page-turner that takes us through the days of Kate Malone, a high school senior with a knack for straight A’s, and her struggle with the fact that she is rejected from the one and only school she applied to.

Kate embraces her role of “smart kid” but hates the idea of being the preacher’s daughter. She has an awkward relationship with her provincial father because of her belief in science and his in faith. Kate takes honors classes, excels in chemistry, and looks forward to college. She tells everyone she is accepted by her safeties, but in truth she is rejected by the only college she applied to, MIT.

When Kate gets rejected, her world falls apart. She slips into autopilot and does her daily routine simply because she is used to it. Kate’s friends become worried about her and in

a futile attempt, try to snap her out of her petulant mood.

Catalyst is a book for any teenager going through the stress of college admissions. High school can be like an amusement park ride, the kind that’s not amusing. This book shows us that although college is important, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get in.