Catalyst | Teen Ink

Catalyst MAG

The stress of college admissions is often the most difficult time in one’s life. Imagine being so confident in your first-choice college that applying to others seems pointless. Bam. “We regret to inform you ... ” Catalyst is a page-turner that takes us through the days of Kate Malone, a high school senior with a knack for straight A’s, and her struggle with the fact that she is rejected from the one and only school she applied to.

Kate embraces her role of “smart kid” but hates the idea of being the preacher’s daughter. She has an awkward relationship with her provincial father because of her belief in science and his in faith. Kate takes honors classes, excels in chemistry, and looks forward to college. She tells everyone she is accepted by her safeties, but in truth she is rejected by the only college she applied to, MIT.

When Kate gets rejected, her world falls apart. She slips into autopilot and does her daily routine simply because she is used to it. Kate’s friends become worried about her and in

a futile attempt, try to snap her out of her petulant mood.

Catalyst is a book for any teenager going through the stress of college admissions. High school can be like an amusement park ride, the kind that’s not amusing. This book shows us that although college is important, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get in.

i love this !

on Mar. 9 2014 at 9:33 am
WrappedUpInBooks, -, New Jersey
I agree. I read this a few months ago and felt that it was more about the results of the pressure put on Kate since her mother passed away and how her perspective of her bully changed. 

WhiteWidow GOLD, Bakersfield, California

Life is not fair because no one plays fair and survives.

You should read "Speak" by the same amazing author.  It's just as deep and truth-resounding.  So good....

Lulu said...
No, Catalyst is much deeper than this. Kate Malone deals with much bigger issues then not being accepted into MIT. The big conflict is between Kate and a girl who bullies her at school whom she must help because her house was destroyed.