Ugly Love: A Rollercoaster of Emotions | Teen Ink

Ugly Love: A Rollercoaster of Emotions

December 1, 2022
By Sophie_Flynn SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Sophie_Flynn SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments


When I started to read Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover, the author made me feel like I was living it just as much as Tate was. 


Before I decided I was going to read Ugly Love, I had heard all about Colleen Hoover and her books from friends and social media. Everyone was talking about how amazing the books were. I had high expectations when I picked this book, and my expectations were definitely met after I finished reading Ugly Love. 


Right as I open the book, it catches my eye as Tate walks to her new apartment that she's moving in with her brother Corbin to find a drunk man named Miles outside her apartment trying to get in. This created suspense and worry for me as I am reading, not knowing what is going to happen next because I didn’t know who Miles was.


 The author creates lots of foreshadowing from the beginning as to why Miles is lying drunk outside of the apartment to what happens later in the book causing him to be in the mental state he was in. When I first opened the book and was reading about Tate walking to her apartment and finding a drunk man banging on her door trying to get in, this made me so intrigued to keep reading this book and it built up lots of suspense for me. Colleen Hoover creates foreshadowing with Miles lying outside of the apartment drunk. At the end of the book, Miles explains why he was like that the first day he met Tate because it was the anniversary of his son's death. Miles and his girlfriend got in an accident and drowned but Miles chose to save his girlfriend Rachel and left his son. When reading about what happened and understanding why Miles was so emotionally closed off, this made me feel really empathetic for him and understand why he is the way he is.


Colleen Hoover had me on a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the book starting with sadness, happiness, and empathy. The feelings I felt for Miles when he opened up about his fear of love to Tate and cried in her arms because of his past relationship with his son dying and his girlfriend blaming his son's death on him. Reading this caused me to feel such empathy for Miles and understand why he was so closed off and wanted a no strings attached relationship with Tate, causing her to be so confused. 

Not only did this book put me on a rollercoaster of emotions, this book had me confused for most of it, not knowing what was going on with Miles and Tate’s relationship. Miles was Tate’s brother’s best friend, so they had reasons they were not able to be together. 


I also loved how Tate persevered while Miles was going through issues from his past because Tate loved Miles so much. She was willing to follow his two rules “Don’t ask about my past and don’t expect a future” ( Hoover 89). Tate was willing to do what she didn’t want to do just to be near Miles and spend time with him until he was able to overcome his issues from his past and open up to her and love her. Tate found it so hard to not ask about his past and not love him because he was the only person she really loved. This made me understand what people will do for the ones they love, and made me understand what love is.


Overall I would recommend this book to people who want to read through the ups and down Miles and Tate goes through to end up together, and keeping you on the edge of your seat not knowing if they are going to end up together, with them breaking up twice and getting back together it turns into ugly love. Miles found a way to cope with his past and what we went through for Tate so they could be together.