Incantation by Alice Hoffman | Teen Ink

Incantation by Alice Hoffman

June 4, 2009
By Vanessa Tacher Chagas BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Vanessa Tacher Chagas BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Incantation by Alice Hoffman is a great book for anyone that likes mystery fiction with a touch of love and sadness.

Incantation tells the story of a sixteen year old Estrella DeMadrigal who lives in Encaleflora, Spain during the 1500s—a period known for the Spanish Inquisition. Estrella is a happy girl living a normal life with her mother, grandmother, grandfather and her pet pig Dini. Everything changed the day she went down to the plaza to see what was all the commotion and saw an old man crying because they were burning a pile of books. Soon after this, Estrella tells her first lie to her best friend and from there her life starts getting complicated and she starts learning the truth about her family and as she tries to save herself from the prosecution of the Spanish Inquisition.

This is definitely a page turner; every page you read will leave you hanging and wondering what will happen next. It’s very enjoyable reading because while the reader tries to uncover what happened on that hot day and the truth about Estrella and her family it is hard put it down.


The author's comments:
I wrote this book review as part of a school assignment.