Max By James Patterson | Teen Ink

Max By James Patterson

June 8, 2009
By Anonymous

Max
By James Patterson

When Max and her flock venture down into the deep cold waters of the ocean, you can expect the worst. Recovering from their last arctic adventure, the flock is asked by the government to help save the world-again. This time, from an underwater threat. Someone-or something- is killing all the fish, and destroying all the fishing boats. Unable to find the cause, the government asks Max and the flock to investigate and go under water. But there every move is being watched by Mr. Chu-a mastermind criminal who has his own ideas for the flock. Can Max keep her flock safe and keep herself alive at the same time?

Max (Maximum Ride, Book 5) is the fifth book in the Maximum Ride series of books, an adventure series of teenage-mutant kids who get chased by mutant wolf-like creatures, who call themselves The Erasers. Max is a 14-year old girl who is a mutant along with 5 other kids and a dog, who all have their own “special” features, and who can also fly. She and her friends spend their time trying to save the world their way, and try to escape being guinea pigs of a scientific research facility called The School. The flock (as Max and her friends are called) faces a new task in this fifth installment as they find out an evil mastermind is out again to hunt them down, when they're still just recovering from their last Arctic adventure. Apart form the danger, millions of fish are suddenly dying because of an unknown reason, and this poses a huge threat of extinction. So what happens is that Max and her flock get recruited by the government to investigate the crisis, while they try to save their necks at the same time.

I know from the plot to the superhero teens who can fly sound a little cliché, but Patterson somehow makes it all sound very interesting. Hey, it got to the fifth book didn't it? I'd recommend these books not only to those teens looking to read an adventure, but for those who are bored with the same kind of books that they are reading. Max will definitely be a good, fresh read for you.
What I like about this book is its humor and how easily you can relate to it. Of course, we don't have wings and supernatural powers and are constantly ask by the government to help save the world, but we all have regular teenage problems; so does Max. For as long as she could remember, she has been fighting side by side with her right hand man, Fang. But are her emotions finally catching up with her; does she really like Fang? I also love how the book is so action packed. At almost every chapter, Max and her flock are fighting either humans or mutant robots. James Patterson is very talented in making this book very detailed and clear; enough for you to imagine it as if the whole scene was unfolding right in front of you. James Patterson is also talented in making his books suspenful, and making sure you always turn the pages until the very last page.
It also seems to me that Patterson loves to give you surprises, either good or bad. Read to the end, and you'll find the surprise you have all been waiting for.