China, The Rise to World Power by Clarke Newlon | Teen Ink

China, The Rise to World Power by Clarke Newlon

The book China, The Rise to World Power by Clarke Newlon contains a lot of detailed information on every aspect of China. It includes everything from the ruler Mao Zedong to China’s official language. This book was written to inform young adults about the history of China in the past, present, and even in the future. China, The Rise to World Power includes information on all of the dynasties, rulers, and struggles that China has faced. Ruler Ssuma Chien once wrote “Shih’s workmen dug through three subterranean rivers which were sealed off with huge bronze barricades to make the burial chamber. Various waterways, including the Yangtze and the Yellow Rivers, were created with quicksilver and made to circulate constantly down to the ocean, also part of the empire. The sky was depicted in a canopy of stars and the earth below, with trees, shrubs, and grass. At the center of the site was the Emperor’s capital city and at the center of this, his tomb.” This quote is an excellent example of the extreme detail that the author goes into. Personally I found this book overbearing. The amount of detailed information is enormous. The book becomes boring because the author did not grab my interest. I did not like this book very much as others might have. I would not recommend this book.
Overall this book was a little disappointing to me. Others might like this book, but I did not.