Tangled Threads A Hmong Girl's Story By Legi Deitz Shea | Teen Ink

Tangled Threads A Hmong Girl's Story By Legi Deitz Shea

I’m not a person who loves reading books, but finding a book Tangled Threads A Hmong Girl’s Story By Legi Deitz Shea was interesting to me because it talks about a girl’s life in a refugee camp(in Thailand called Ban Vinai) and how much that child would just love to leave someday to discover new places, America.. Much as she wishes to go their and live with her peers, having love, real medical, real bundles of food, and more and more to discover. That’s what caught my attention to read about this book.

Mai Yang(young girl) was born in a refugee camp and was raised by her grandma they’ve been living their for 10 years now. Her parents had died... when she was still young and born. Mai was struggling to live because of all the germs and sickness their. But grandma would never give up and help her heal, to feel refreshed again. Times came and ran but this time, different, Mai and grandma were talking. Then grandma said to Mai, “The camps will close next year, so we must go to interviews now or be send back to laos..”(Pg.3) Mai excited as ever, cannot wait to go.. To America, cousins, family members, even others she does not know of had already been living in america ever since. They were giving permission to and had the chances to. At this time of year for hmong refugees had dreamed of America and where they wanna live. It’s a place where food is no less, where medical is more educated, and where young children like Mai herself go to school to learn.

Tangled Threads is a interesting book to read. I wouldn’t say I recommend it, but I will say is that it’ll get to you, your feelings, your thinking..of how being in a refugee camp for so long changing your feels on america and how much being in a refugee camp would change everything. I like it. It gets me to feel, how much hmong people would suffer and feel distraught of being in their for so long. Exploring the book more I see comments on internets of how much people had feelings changed. And how much my own feelings for all hmong OG’s I know have either went through this faze, hurts to know but they are strong. Strong enough to pull through this refugee.

The books story plot tells more than telling others what its about. So much sadness, madness, regret, even feeling broken at times. Yet Mai had felt these feelings ever since being in the refugee camp for so many years. Sadness, illness, exploring, and wonders. There are times where Thai soldiers would uh...how do you say this...hmm...how about this. There are times where Thai soldiers would sexually abuse Mai. Yet beyond that, by reading more and more you just wanna keep up with the story and never let your eyes go unfocused not even for one second(if your into reading that is).

Finally, reading Tangled Threads it all was sorrow for me. I won’t spoil it but saying it’s sorrow is good enough. The beginning towards the ending full of happiness and joy, plus sadness and hurtfulness. This really gets to you if your into fiction realistic novel. Legi Deitz Shea couldn’t had written all this without the support of hmong people and their love of support. “Mai, beautiful as an Orchid, but has the Strength of a tiger.”(Pg.219)