“Blankets” by Craig Thompson | Teen Ink

“Blankets” by Craig Thompson

January 24, 2019
By Avarthina BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Avarthina BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“When you are lost or looking for someone suspected lost, the CROWDS of people form a threatening undertow undermining your every effort.”


I usually never read graphic novels, let alone memoirs, but this one caught my eye. With its lovely illustration and dialogue of descriptive visuals, this was an experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought this graphic novel was well made and well put together for something that has pictures on every page. The characters were well developed and had voices of their own despite being on pages; they spoke to you. As a young adult going through obstacles herself, this book teaches a good lesson.


“Blankets” is about a young male by the name of Craig that strives for a better life. In “Blankets,” the protagonist is constantly facing struggles and obstacles. Amidst these obstacles, Craig finds love. Having finally escaped his home of rural isolation for a few weeks, he finds himself underneath the layers he'd created. He finds himself; tattered, lonesome, sensitive. But when he finds love, his life began to morph into something he'd never expected. With love, he creates parts of himself he never knew he could. He began to fix himself piece by piece, until, as always, love faded.


The events that take place in this graphic memoir is similar to those someone might have had in their own life. All the childhood memories, young adult struggles, and the obstacles faced in adult life. The dialogue is something out of the ordinary, as when the author describes certain things, the dialogue meshes in with a page, creating a lovely illusion of sorts. For example, the second main character, Raina, states, “I’ve no voice, and I take music too seriously anyway. I only sing when I’m all by myself, and then it’s sacred.” Typically, you need words to create a picture, but with this dialogue, it creates not just pictures, but landscapes that sing. Though the pictures of the novel are there, it takes the words to bring the pictures to life.


“Blankets” teaches you to continue being strong throughout your struggles and overcome your obstacles. In the book, Craig talks about running away from everything countless times due to bullying and the religion he is forced to endure at a young age. As he grows and develops into a nice young man, he begins to throw away childish things and memories. Though he is unsure about the religious portion of his life, he is determined to overcome his obstacles. Going through struggles can be hard, but with this graphic novel in your hands, you learn to accept the past and move on.


By Karina Prasad