Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen | Teen Ink

Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen

September 27, 2018
By TahliaN-N BRONZE, Decatur, Georgia
TahliaN-N BRONZE, Decatur, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You might be on the right track, but you'll get run over if you just sit there."


Runaway.


The title itself tells you a lot about what is to be expected. It is a story that will make you cry, laugh, hurt and wonder. What else do you need?


Wendelin Van Draanen has written many stories and I must confess, I have read them all. I have a theory. I believe that Wendelin Van Draanen wants to educate you. Me. Us. She wants to educate us on the least conversed topics of our world. Teenagers. Yup. That’s right. The thing that overwhelms your life and is constantly on your mind is not conversed enough? Well tell me this. Have you ever read a book on teen homelessness? A story that makes you cry and laugh and hurt and wonder? I have. It’s called Runaway.


Holly Vanquell is 12 years old when she runs away. After years of being hurt by foster parents, “friends”, teachers and her own mother, she finally runs. Well, not finally. She’s run before. But not like this! This time, she has a plan. After being treated wrongly for her whole life, Holly has forgotten how to trust. Or maybe, she never learned. Now, Holly will have you know, she is no homeless teen! She is a sea gypsy. Encouraged by her journal, gifted to her by her was current teacher, she discovers more than she ever thought she could. Not just about others. But about herself and her purpose.


This book made laugh. It made me cry. But most importantly, it made me feel empowered. Holly Vanquell is the poster child for the unspeakable in America. But, Wendelin Van Draanen proved otherwise. It’s not unspeakable. It’s not a secret. It’s a cold, ugly truth.


Will you let yourself be overwhelmed by this fact? Or will you pass up a chance to immerse yourself in a whole new, wonderful world. I give this book infinity stars out of five. A winner for sure.  


The author's comments:

Loved this book. You will too. I assure you. You will. Read my review and find out...