Review of "I Am an American, Too" This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

March 28, 2018

In “I am an American too,” by Reece V. she writes about how a student in her class, who is a Trump supporter, makes a comment that offends her and her ethnicity.  I agree with Reece when she says that the words the President uses; “Make all immigrants, regardless of their legal status, feel like they are not American.”  I’ve gone through many situations similar to this one.  When people joke about deportation or make comments stating minorities aren’t from America, it hurts.  In high school people want to try and fit in as much as possible, so when someone calls another person out on something they can’t change, it’s a reminder that even though we should treat everyone equally, we aren’t actually equal.  I also agree with her when she writes, “This boy didn’t grow up with people questioning his right in his own country.”  Most non-minorities are almost never questioned of their race or where they come from.  When people think of America, they don’t think of minorities.  If someone were asked to describe an American citizen, he or she wouldn’t say Mexican, African American, or Filipino.  They would think white.