We Need Less Homework | Teen Ink

We Need Less Homework

February 8, 2018
By alcsam2 BRONZE, Defiance , Ohio
alcsam2 BRONZE, Defiance , Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “We Need Less Homework,” written by Aidan Robinson, talks about how homework causes much stress to student.  The author’s writing left me with a feeling of understanding of the problems he discusses.  It is true that a large amount of homework can cause unneeded stress; however, I do not believe homework should be completely eliminated from schools.  The article talks about how “homework is tedious, time-consuming, and pointless,” and I don’t believe that all homework is pointless.  Students need homework to practice the skills they need for testing and other preparations involving college and the real world.  With all that students have going on in their lives, including playing sports, working, spending time with their friends and family, etc., long hours of homework at night is the last objective a student wants or needs.  Since many students have other priorities, long nights of homework also cause immense sleep deprivation.  The article states, “Sleep deprivation has become the relative norm.”  Although time management is a key factor in helping the situation, many students struggle with this.  As I am writing this article in second period art class the day it is due, I can’t help but think about how I could have gotten more sleep last night if I didn’t have math homework.