The Waterboy | Teen Ink

The Waterboy MAG

By Anonymous

   "The Waterboy," a slapstick comedy starring Adam Sandler, may be one of the funniest comedies I have seen this year. It portrays serious issues in a way that causes many (including me) to laugh themselves right out of their seats.

Adam Sandler, known for his unique brand of comedy, lights up the screen as Bobby Boucher, a 31-year-old man with little or no social skills, who is the waterboy for a prominent Louisiana college. He takes his job very seriously, but is not taken seriously by anyone on the team. He gets beaten up, tortured and pushed around. He does not fight back and is eventually fired because he causes the players to goof off.

He then gets a job at another school and is pushed around just as badly, but now he fights back. He is immediately recruited by the coach and his illustrious football career begins.

This movie is a definite must-see. There is one brief sexually oriented scene, but no nudity and the language is reasonable. It is a great movie for the whole family. Its slapstick comedy is not too mature for young viewers and not too immature for older viewers.

Even though this movie is a comedy, it deals with a specific and serious issue. Bobby Boucher has to fight with everyone because he gets no respect. He becomes a waterboy because he can do nothing else. When he joins the college football team and does surprisingly well, he suddenly has a huge number of friends. They only care because he can play football. Eventually, they begin to respect him for who he is. He learns to be an individual and everyone learns to respect his individuality.

Altogether, "The Waterboy" is a very enjoyable movie. If you look through the slapstick, it has a moral one can relate to.