The Douglas J Aveda Institute: The Luscious Learning Salon

When I walked into this large salon, the first thing I noticed was the energy bouncing off the walls due to the many rows of hairdressers working with their customers. The Aveda Institute is where upcoming beauty professionals complete a one-year training program learning what it is like to work in a beauty salon. Men, women and children all come in for basic beauty services including haircuts and eyebrow waxing. These services are done professionally for a third of the price of other salons, using high-end Aveda products.

I do not know what was better, the enthusiastic service at the desk when you check in or that they offer you hot tea, coffee or water as you wait. I came in to get a long-overdue haircut and waited as the aroma of the herb-infused Aveda products filled the room and created a calm ambience. The wait was no longer than five minutes, and my hairdresser, Stephanie, arrived with a large smile and introduced herself. She then led me to her station and examined my hair as I told her what I wanted done. Attentively she listened to my wishes and included some professional tips to get the best overall haircut. When we finished discussing my haircut, she brought over a beauty consultant to sign off. I forgot we were in a teaching environment since everything felt so professional. As the haircut went on, my stylist was so sociable I felt as if I was hanging out with a friend instead of getting a haircut. This is important because a haircut can easily become very boring and long if the only thing entertaining you is your reflection in the mirror.

Before I knew it, my stylist was blow drying my hair. The finished product looked like it cost $80 instead of only$16. She waved over the same beauty consultant to examine the finished cut to make sure everything was perfect. I liked that they did this even though the beauty students at the Institute are close to finished with their education, it is good to be assured that you are getting a first-rate haircut. All in all, the Douglas J Aveda Institute was a great experience for a simple haircut. The bright, lively atmosphere, the affordable, professional haircuts and the welcoming staff make this easily the best place anyone could go to get their hair cut.