Monopoly | Teen Ink

Monopoly

December 2, 2015
By kayclemens2017 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
kayclemens2017 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In “Monopoly” by Roger L. the author speaks of how he once envied his older brother for the success that he had within everything he did, his friends, and family. The mood quickly turns from anger, jealousy, and annoyance to happiness when Roger finds out his brother landed himself in jail. The reader can distinguish the change in attitude when Roger says, “Now, by some cruel twist of fate or dramatic turnaround of character, you are in prison…” When the author says this, the reader is left feeling as though Roger is relieved by this news. It seems as though Roger feels he will not have to be held up to the standard of his older brother.


After reading this I felt disappointed that Roger’s brother had to be sent to jail, but I can understand why this could come as a relief to Roger. The moment Roger said, “I hated it when you beat me at everything, big brother” I began to sympathize with him. I was able to sympathize with his because like Roger I have older siblings that seem to always have some new success story to tell my parents. It can be annoying because you feel as though you are not as equivalent as your older siblings, which is why I can understand why Robert would feel somewhat relieved by his brothers failure. However, I am still happy for my siblings’ success.