Apple Watch: Worthy of the Hype? | Teen Ink

Apple Watch: Worthy of the Hype?

March 26, 2015
By C_D_W BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
C_D_W BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On September 9, 2014, Apple announced the concept for their newest product, the Apple Watch, This watch, scheduled to be released in April 2015, was shown to work like a normal watch, but would also have features similar to those on an iPhone. Since the initial announcement, there has been much debate over how successful the Apple Watch will be when compared to similar products, such as the Sony SmartWatch and the Samsung Gear 2. While some people believe that the Apple Watch will be successful, I disagree with them because of my issues with the Apple Watch’s price and lack of unique features.


Before talking about the Apple Watch’s flaws, it is important to make note of what it does get right. Instead of making a standard watch, Apple decided to include some new options, such as an advanced fitness tracker, to make it appeal to a broader audience. The Watch is also equipped with music playing and messaging capabilities, so the wearer does not always have to bring along a phone. Finally, the Watch is very lightweight and compact, though I find it too small.


Given these convenient features, the success of the Apple Watch success seems a foregone conclusion; however, the I think its very high price point will curtail sales. According to the Apple website, the price for the 38 millimeter Apple Watch Sport is $349. While this high cost may seem reasonable for a high-quality watch, the Sport version is the lowest quality model mode. The most expensive model, the Apple Watch Edition, costs $17,000 and has the same features as Sport. Compared to the Sony Smartwatch, which has a price of $199 and similar features, all versions of the Apple Watch are priced significantly above the competition. For the same $349.00, I could purchase three new iPhone 5s! 


Another flaw that I found with the Apple Watch is that it is too similar to past Apple products. In every release of the iPhone model, many new features are added to improve the overall product. With the Apple Watch however, it seems as if every idea, aside from the fitness tracker, is recycled from the iPhone. I would have liked Apple to come up with some innovative additions. Without innovative new features, it is even harder to justify the higher price point.


To conclude, I think that the upcoming launch of the Apple Watch will fall short of expectations when it is first released. Although there are still a few weeks until it becomes available to the public, I think the high price of $349 and the lack of new and innovative features will inhibit mass appeal.  Also, I currently do not find normal watches and iPhones inconvenient and don’t see the need for this type of watch. As an alternative, I would recommend purchasing the iPhone 6 for less money since has more capabilities and is much more useful and easy to read. Hopefully, Apple will realize these flaws and will improve on the Watch for its next release.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article to express my thoughts on the upcoming Apple Watch.