Like Me | Teen Ink

Like Me

By Hoolia SILVER, New York City, New York
Hoolia SILVER, New York City, New York

Love at first sight may seem impossible to most, but Theresa Picone's "Like Me" vividly and realistically displays a striking scenario in which this occurs. While waiting on a line for coffee, the narrator explains of how she pokes the girl in front of her to compliment her Harry Potter tote bag. The girl, later identified as Kristen, is described as the narrator’s dream girl. Red haired and blue eyed, she exchanged a small smile with her
as she went to pick up her tall iced peppermint mocha, which the narrator remembers the most about her, besides her Harry Potter fandom. From this she says: “In the end, I realized I actually knew quite a bit about my dream girl. Her name was Kristen, she worked at Barnes & Noble, she liked the color black and peppermint, like me. And Harry Potter, of course.” All in all, the narrator has fallen in love for the first time for about three minutes and a half. The taste of peppermint lingered on her tongue as she left the shop, pleased with finding a person like her.