The Greatest Game Ever Played | Teen Ink

The Greatest Game Ever Played MAG

“The Greatest Game Ever Played” is based on a true early twentieth-century golf match between Harry Vardon (the Tiger Woods of that era) and 20-year-old amateur Francis Ouimet in the U.S. Open. Ouimet had been a caddy just a few weeks before and the movie shows his life from childhood until young adulthood. Across the sea, it briefly does the same with Vardon.

The climax is the Open where Harry Vardon is invited to play. In search of a local amateur, Francis is included. A three-man play-off results between Vardon, Ouimet, and another Brit, Ted Ray. The three battle it out until the eighteenth hole. Putting for the championship, Ouimet hits the ball and it rolls toward the hole. Does it go in? Does he win? Watch and find out!

The acting is very good. Francis is played by Shia Labeouf, whom you might know as Stanley Yelnats in “Holes.” Francis’ caddy, Eddie Lowery (Josh Flitter) adds a lot of color and is wise beyond his years. If you look at pictures of Francis and Eddie, you will see that they were well cast.

When my family saw “The Greatest Game Ever Played,” we were the only ones in the theater. This is a movie that few would go to see (similar to “Cinderella Man” or “Secondhand Lions”), but it is an excellent movie worth seeing.