Similar at Heart | Teen Ink

Similar at Heart

By Katie Korshunova BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
Katie Korshunova BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington

We always miss someone. I don't think a day goes by that we don’t ache for something or someone. These two well known artists wrote pieces about longing for someone. The first poem by Anita Endrezze is about her younger self and a friend. They were both out of place and they built a friendship over that until one day her friend “disappeared.” Madonna writes a piece similar to that about not being able to say goodbye to a friend back in her childhood. “The girl who loved the sky,” by Anita Endrezze, and “This used to be my playground” by Madonna are different in figure of speech and imagery, but they are also similar in tone, rhythm and alliteration.

One of the few differences between these two poems is their figure of speech. In Anita’s poem she describes how she remembers her classroom, but Madonna uses a metaphor to say how a certain being feels in the song. For example in line 14 “You're heart is breaking”(14). Madonna wants us to know how the person feels through her lyrics. Anita’s figures of speech describe something way different. Using a simile she describes a place: “The room smelled like glue”(5). She remembers all these little details and portrays them as a speech figure. You can clearly see the differences between the poems.

The other reason these two writings are different is how they use their imagery. They use a completely different sense when describing something. Madonna uses a limited amount of it and it is hard to find. “You’re feeling old”(13). In this song she uses this type of imagery because she and her friend had grown up from their playground so she says what her friend feels. In Anita’s poem you could clearly sense the image she wants to produce. “The sky /tasted like cold metal”(18/19). You could almost taste the coolness because her image is so vivid. So it is clear just like the images that theses two pieces of art are different from their sense of imagery.

Next comes the tone; one of the few reasons why these two works are similar to each other. Tone is the attitude or emotion of how Madonna and Anita decide express themselves, and the decision is alike. The tone for both is sad; they are both missing someone. Madonna expresses it in a desire “Wishing you were here with me”(51). This quote shows she longs for someone. Anita compares her pain “The day she moved/ I saw the world clearly; the sky/ backed away from me like a departing father”(43/44/45). This shows also that she is depressed by a departing. The feelings and emotions that these two lyrics express, show the similarity in tone.

The next reason why theses songs are similar is because of their alliteration. They have same repeating letter which gives a nice sound to the lyrics. In Anitas poem it says “papery petals”(3). Madonna says “head held high”(9). This makes the poems a bit similar.

The last thing that ties theses two songs together is the rhythm. The rhythm of these two works is similar. They are both free verse. You can prove that by seeing how the lines are all ‘out of shape’. The words highlighted shows the stress marks and as you can see, there is no specific order. Madonna has a rhythm in the beginning at at first. “This used to be my playground. This used to be my used to be my childhood dream” (1) But at the end there isn't stress and no stress, theres stress and stress. Anita’s however starts random and ends the same. Take a look at this one line. “Outside the second-grade room”(1) It is free verse whatsoever. When you read it aloud you can hear that. And this is what makes it the final reason why these two lyrics are similar.

These two poems by two completely different people are kind of similar as they are different. Both of the poems use free verse. They also have similar tone; they are both missing someone. Anita and Madonna both miss a dearly, loved friend and don't know how to handle they're departing. These poems also have alliteration. There figures of speech are not same. And also there imagery are both beautiful but they are different in how they present it. These two lyric writers are different but wrote about similar ideas, but in distant point of views.