The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air | Teen Ink

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

Now this is the story all about how his life got flip turned upside down, and I’d like to take a minute just sit right there, I’ll tell you all about this show called Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Will Smith stars in this bright and hilarious sitcom as, well, Will Smith. His entourage of costars include James Avery as Uncle Philip Banks, Daphne Maxwell Reid as Aunt Vivian Banks, Alfonso Riberio as cousin Carleton Banks, Karyn Parson as snooty cousin Hilary Banks, Tatyana Ali as cousin Ashley Banks, and Joseph Marcell as butler Geoffrey. In some of the newer episodes young star Ross Bagley plays Will's youngest Bank cousin Nicholas “Nicky” Banks. They all live together in a very large house in Bel-Air after Will was sent there by his mother as a “safer” alternative to his old home in Philadelphia. Will is an older teenage boy who is misunderstood by his wealthy family but his rebellious nature brings life to the show. Fresh Prince is on every night at ten o’clock on Nick @ Nite. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is a show well worth your time because of its brilliant plot, intriguing characters, and memorable themes.

The captivating plot of this hilarious show is always a catch. The storyline of each episode is one that people of nearly all ages can enjoy and relate to. The conflicts between characters keep you on the edge of your seat, itching to know what will happen next. In the episode “The Young and the Restless” in season one, a conflict arises between Uncle Phil and his mother Granny Banks due to his over protective behavior towards her rebellious lifestyle. The whole episode keeps you yearning to know how they will end up solving their problems and What Granny Banks will do next to prove her point.

The characters ability to bond, connect, and also make snide remarks towards each other with a definite family vibe is remarkable. Witty arguments often arise between Uncle Phil and Will that keep the audience entertained and laughing until they cry, as well as the loving talks and encouraging moments between Will and younger cousin Ashley that always erupt with a joke and a laugh. Carleton and Hilary often look down upon Will and make sarcastic remarks about his lifestyle. Geoffrey the butler makes sarcastic remarks towards the family about his job. Yet he does this in such a clever way that they never seem to give it a second thought. Overtime each character grows, whether it is through the mind or the heart. Even within the time span of one episode, multiple characters have a change in attitude or opinion.

The multiple themes of the episodes of Fresh Prince have a message that many people can identify with. People of multiple ages can identify with the lessons learned. In the episode “Deck the Halls” of season one, the neighbors complain about Ashley’s vibrant Christmas lights. The theme is that Christmas is a fun and happy time and not a time to show off your money by getting decorations that have nothing to do with the Christmas holiday. You see? Everyone can identify with that message in some way.

You should honestly take your well earned relaxation time to watch this marvelous show because of its captivating plot, memorable characters and incredibly relatable themes. I strongly recommend that you watch this show because it’s one that you would truly regret passing up. When you watch this show your attention will be snatched and not given back until that fat lady has sung, and no, I’m not talking about Uncle Phil. It’s an unbelievable display of acting and writing and leaves your stomach in knots from laughing so hard.