Super Bowl XLIV: Saints WIN | Teen Ink

Super Bowl XLIV: Saints WIN

By AJMendler SILVER, Undisclosed, North Carolina
AJMendler SILVER, Undisclosed, North Carolina

"Be an individual. Do not be someone who you dream about being because you'll never accomplish anything if your a fake."
-Myself
We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is a BIG surprise that the Indianapolis Colts lost to the New Orleans Saints’! The score ended in thirty-one to seventeen by this, the Saints won their first super bowl WIN. The Saints’ main man, Drew Brees complete thirty-two of thirty-nine passes in 288 yards. He was named the super bowl MVP. In addition, he tied with Tom Brady on his thirty-two completions in Super Bowl XXXVIII. After this victory, the Saints’ became one of four teams to win their only Super Bowl appearance.

This game was played in Miami Gardens, FL at the Sun Life Stadium on February 7, 2010. This was the Colts fourth appearance and the Saints’ first appearance. All of the Colts’ games were played in Miami. The Saints’ entered in with a thirteen to three and the Colt’s fourteen to two. During the playoffs, they both played their share of wins and losses. The Colts’ twenty to three and thirty to seventeen playing the Baltimore Ravens and NY Jets, but the Saints’ had forty-five to fourteen and thirty-one to twenty-eight beating Arizona Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings.

Another team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, did not make it because of tiebreakers. The Saint’s head coach, Sean Payton joined in 2006 and the Colts’ was Jim Caldwell. In Miami, this has been the tenth time is has been held there. Now the Sun Life Stadium hosted four Super Bowls previously XXIII, XXIX, XXXIII and XLI. The game was broadcasted on CBS live while Carrie Underwood sung the national anthem, also during half time the British rock band “The Who” performed.

The Colts’ wore blue jerseys and white pants and the Saints’ wore white jerseys and gold pants. During the pre-game, the Barenaked Ladies played the Super Bowl Saturday Night event. While Daughtry, Steve Winwood and Queen Latifah performed during the pre-game tailgate party, starting at 2PM.

This years Super Bowl was very surprising. Who knew that the Saints’ would win? However, they finally won what they came for. Their win made history. During this game, there were very intense moments where I could hear my mom yell ‘GO GO GO!’ This was the most fun yet.

We are doing a newsletter in AVID, so this is why I choose this subject.