Jabberwocky | Teen Ink

Jabberwocky

May 8, 2010
By lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
In the midst of winter,
I finally learned that
there was in me
an invincible summer.


This poem is great because of the exciting drama it invokes. It is about a young boy who is playing with his friends in the woods. The boy’s dad warns him about evil lurking nearby. The little boy watches out for evil, and all of a sudden, a terrifying monster, a Jabberwock, charges at him. The boy courageously strikes the monster, and he kills it.

The words of the poem don’t make much sense. However, when you say them out loud the words have a sort of rhythmic pattern. The first and last stanzas are full of nonsensical words that make the poem even more interesting. The repeating of the first and last paragraphs make it seem as if the boy has awaken from a dream and is exactly where he was in the beginning before he fell asleep. The poem is very similar to the book, Alice in Wonderland.

My favorite part of the poem is when the dad congratulates his son. The dad proudly says, “And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?/Come to my arms, my beamish boy!/Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!” I liked this part, because it is easy to relate to. We all have friends or family that encourage and support us. This poem is about the challenges we all face in life and how we can overcome them.

This poem is also very symbolic. The Jabberwock symbolizes evil. The dad is like the family and friends who encourage us to make good decisions and persevere. The defeat of the Jabberwock is our overcoming or evil.

The language of this poem is perfect. It describes everything in a way that we can easily imagine what Lewis Carroll was thinking when he created this poem.