Lies as Extensive as Space | Teen Ink

Lies as Extensive as Space

By andrewt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
andrewt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

In People Magazine an ad was posted for Mars Inc., featuring Snickers’ Marathon energy bar. The Mars Company created a bar for people who lead an active lifestyle, but also creating a bar that tastes like candy, and healthy as well.

In the ad the text says, “Success doesn’t come to you-you go to it. Except if you eat a bad-tasting energy bar, you ain’t going anywhere.” One doesn’t have to eat an energy bar to become successful in life. Life is complicated and needs more than energy bar for a simple fix. Aint isn’t a word making the target audience lower middle class that isn’t well educated. The picture shows a football player running up the stairs of a football stadium. The hidden text is in the person shown. He needed more than a performance bar to get where he is today. Snickers created a bar for world-class athletes that are running marathons. The picture doesn’t fit the description of this performance bar, because the person shown isn’t a runner. The ad is glamorized by the beautiful person shown. By eating a bar isn’t going to make one look as good as the person presented. The performance and energy bar is placed above the black background with a yellow focal point drawing one’s eyes to it.

Mars Inc. created a bar that is suitable for white male athletes. “We recognized that there were many Americans who expend as much energy in the course of their day as world-class athletes do running marathons.”

There are three tools used in this ad: card stacking, simple solutions and beautiful people. Using an energy or performance bar is a simple solution for people to become fit. Card stacking comes into play when they say eating a bar is all you need to succeed. This is completely false. The football player represented in the picture represents beautiful people creating a sense of insecurity, making people buy the bar to look like the football player. Having beautiful people persuades one to value physical image.

The Mars Company is trying to create a health message, but with chocolate? To be fit one needs substances that replenish their body. A person is persuaded to believe that one bar, receives high protein, vitamins and minerals needed in a day. The part that isn’t being told is if a person wants to become fit the body needs a combination of exercise and eating right to accomplish that goal.