Preadator Teachers | Teen Ink

Preadator Teachers

By gHerrera BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
gHerrera BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Students around the United States are being sexually abused or harassed by a staff member at their school. In the article, “Predator Teachers,” it states that about 1 in every 10 students is a victim and most of the perpetrators aren't caught, but why is that? How do you know if your teacher isn't a predator? What can you do if a teacher does cross the line? If you sense, for any reason, or are unsure if your teacher might be a predator, there are signs you can look out for.
So why aren't these predators getting caught? Students are terrified to speak up. Students who are victims of sexual abuse or harass by their teachers, feel that the trust their teacher has in them, may be broken. In fact, only 89% of students who are or have been sexually abused or harassed don’t report it. Most students, if not all, don’t expect to be sexually abused or harassed by a teacher. Students usually trust their teachers to do no harm to anyone. But that's only 99.9% of teachers who want to help you learn and grow. It is obvious that “...your relationships with your teacher are built on mutual trust.” For example students at a high school were exceedingly shocked to see their teacher on the TV show To Catch a Predator. A math teacher, was caught attempting to have sex with a child-who was actually an adult decoy-in her home. In fact, the teacher had the nerve to go back and teach for a week, until school officials were notified. A student was dazed to see her teacher on To Catch a Predator. “I can’t help but think, what if that teacher is a predator too?” is all a student can think. Now, knowing that her teacher was a predator, she wonders if her other teachers are predators as well, and has trouble trusting any other teachers.

So, how can you tell if a teacher is a predator? There are signs in which you can look out for. A teacher can give you a compliment like, “You look nice today!” But if he goes to where he says, “You look sexy!” He is being inappropriate. This means that he is seeing you in a sexual way. Another sign is if your teacher talks about their sex life during class. He is being open, trying to be like one of your friends. If a teacher tries to get time alone with you, that’s another sign. For example, he may tell you to meet him before or after class or off school property. His aim is to have you away from your friends so no one else can back up your story. A teacher may also give you “special treatment” like assigning you easier homework or maybe giving you extra help or a better grade. That way, he makes you feel like you are obliged to do whatever he may ask you to do. Another sign you may want to look out for is if he asks you personal questions. They can be questions about guys, your family, or anything that has nothing to do with academics. A teacher may also tell you information about his personal life. Another sign is if your teacher tries to distance you away from your parents by “dissing” them. He may say something like, “Your parents are lame, and they don’t appreciate you.” By doing this, you’ll be less likely to go to them if anything is wrong. A teacher might give you more than just a pat on the back. That is another sign. Your teacher is trying to make you feel comfortable by putting his arm around you, massaging your shoulders, or stroking your hair. Therefore, you won’t think it’s inappropriate when he tries to do something else. A predator teacher does these signs because they’re trying to gain your trust. For that reason, if a teacher asks you to keep quiet, you feel like you’re keeping a secret, and if you tell, you’re breaking his trust.
No matter what, you should always report any of these signs because they may lead to something else. Just think again, 89% of students who are sexually abused or harassed by a teacher don’t report it. Reporting prevents more students from being another victim.

So what should you do if a teacher does cross the line? If a teacher crosses the line with you, let the teacher know that what he did or said was inappropriate and to not do it again. But do report if a teacher kisses your or touches you in a sexual way. Tell both the principal and the police. If a teacher crosses the line with another student, tell law enforcement officials. You shouldn’t feel guilty or worry about telling on your friend. You are allowing the teacher to break the rules and law if you don’t report it.

Here are two stories of two girls who reported a teacher they knew- and one, a teacher got away.
Erin, from New York, may have spoken up a little too late; her school let the predator get away. Erin reveals that a teacher at her high school made inappropriate comments to, not just her, but “hit on all the girls.” Erin didn’t feel the need to tell school officials, until, after graduation that a friend had gone up to her and a set of kids and said she had had an affair with that one teacher. Now evidently the teacher would have had his teaching license revoked and been turned in to the police, but on the contrary the teacher was asked to leave immediately and his license wouldn’t be taken away. For all we know, that one teacher can be at another school and doing the same thing to other students. If Erin had spoken up the first time, the teacher would not have been let off so easily.

Laura, from Ohio, did speak up, and on time. Laura had started sharing her feelings with her teacher and soon he had developed into a friend. Mr. D., her teacher would hold her had or put his arm around her, which made Laura feel comfortable. But one day things went to the extreme. Mr. D. had invited Laura to the public library but instead took her to his house. He had told Laura how he thought she was attractive and when they walked into his house soon began to take his clothes off. She pleaded for him to take her home, but he refused and instead held her down and raped her. Laura began to cry and he decided to take her home, but only if she promised to keep quiet. Laura did just that, kept quiet for almost two years. Laura had soon become very depressed, which is when she decided to speak up. She had shown letters from her teacher, proof that he had crossed the line. Mr. D. got one year house arrest, three years probation, and had his teaching license revoked.

Students who are not reporting these crimes are letting predators go and letting it happen to other students. You should report any teachers who are showing any signs of bad behavior. Don't let yourself be another victim or someone else, now knowing what to do when you have been sexually abused or harassed and how to stay safe.

I felt like people needed to be aware and not trust just anybody.