Judgment Night | Teen Ink

Judgment Night MAG

By Anonymous

   "Don't move. Don't whisper. Don't even breathe. " This is a quote from, in my opinion, one of the greatest suspense movies of all time, "Judgment Night." It's not just a suspense movie made just for the sake of scaring people. It has a realistic plot, elite acting, and dynamic soundtrack (featuring hits from House of Pain and Cypress Hill) to spice up this edge-of-your seat flick starring Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Denis Leary.

Other suspense films usually occur within a single day with the whole movie a giant chase scene (like "The Chase") are good, but don't quite capture the kind of cat-chasing-mouse suspense that "Judgment Night" pulls off so beautifully.

The thrilling plot begins when Frank Wyatt (Estevez) and his friends travel to a boxing match via a huge trailer, with its driver, Ray, taking a "short cut" to the middle of nowhere to avoid being late. However, this night will be anything but tranquil when Ray accidentally hits a man. They take the man, who is still alive, to get him help. When they see a police car, they try to catch it, only to get hit by another car, and they are jammed between two tightly packed buildings. Enter the villains (with Denis Leary in his debut as a villain who adds the comedy, yet is still realistical).

The rest of the movie is a suspense yarn of thrills and kills, as Frank and his friends are chased through an abandoned train track, an intricate sewer system, and a perfectly done finale that takes place in a desolate department store.

I highly recommend this movie. It is not new, released in 1993. Cuba Gooding, Jr. gives a believable performance of a guy with a lot of guts, who has to test them in a real-life situation, and Everlast from House of Pain is a perfect fit for one of the thugs.

I was neither disappointed nor bored during this film. It was definitely not what I expected from the television previews, it was better