Billy Elliot | Teen Ink

Billy Elliot

By Meghna Kadalbajoo GOLD, Melbourne, Other
Meghna Kadalbajoo GOLD, Melbourne, Other

On the 10th June, I went to watch the well known musical, directed by Stephen Daldry, Billy Elliot. This performance was in Her Majesty’s Theatre, Melbourne. The famous production, choreographed by Peter Darling, was first composed by Elton John. The Main characters included: Billy Elliot, played by Joshua Denyer, Mrs. Wilkinson, played by Genevieve Lemon, Billy’s Father, played by Richard Piper, Tony, played by Mike Smith, and Grandma, played by Lola Nixon. Billy Elliot The Musical is a remake of the original movie, which was made in 2000.

All of the actors and dancers in the Melbournian production of Billy Elliot were auditioned to get their role. This multi-award winning musical is based on the story of a boy(Denyer) in the 1984 Miner’s Strike. Billy(Denyer) is a young boy who lives with his father(Piper), grandma(Nixon), and older brother Tony(Smith). Denyer yearns to become a ballet dancer and is encouraged by the Girls Dance Instructor,Mrs. Wilkinson(Lemon). The actual musical is a live performance which has accredited some awesome reviews all over the world.
There were some problems with the production, including the unclear ‘British’ accents, and the lack of bright lighting. However, it is highly applauded that despite some occasional mistakes with dancing, the show was flawless. All of the costumes used were in sync with the era and the context of the scene. The song, ’Solidarity’, has fabulous costumes, and great choreography .The song ‘Swan Lake’ also had incredible choreography and stage chemistry between Denyer and another member of the stage. The lifting of Denyer on strings(Up, right) was impressive.
Overall, I extremely recommend that you watch this show. It is definitely an once in a lifetime experience. However, due to the coarse language, I deeply advise not to bring children younger than the age of twelve. No doubt has Billy Elliot won Melbournian hearts!