Guitar World | Teen Ink

Guitar World MAG

From even my first glance at the bright red, capital-lettered title of Guitar World, I knew I would enjoy it. The logo was attractively set on a black and white backdrop of the band REM. The $4.50 cover price for such a tantalizing bit of literature is steep, but if you subscribe, you will pay only $19.95 for 12 issues. Even a contestant on "Let's Make a Deal" could not pass up such a deal.

I have been playing the guitar for about a year and am now listening to more music than ever. When I hear a great song, chances are that I will want to learn to play it. But I have one small problem: what are the notes and where do I find them? If you share my problem, Guitar World is the solution. This monthly magazine not only has up-close and personal interviews with the best bands, but also contains the transcripts of five songs, accompanied by the song's bass lines. Along with the interviews and transcripts, it advertises the newest equipment. This magazine has it all. Sorry, rap fans, Guitar World only features alternative and heavy metal bands.

The November issue feature story was entitled "Reconstruction of the fables ... Alternative Guitar god Peter Buck's album-by-album guide through REM's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 Year Pageant." This 12-page article corrects the false ideas about the band breaking up and also outlines the band's legendary history. It also includes "The Ultimate Photo Gallery of Metallica" which spans eight pages. This was worth the $4.50 I paid.

If you are into hard rock, even if you do not play the guitar, I suggest that you pick up this magazine and see what's new in the music world