My School Uniform Review | Teen Ink

My School Uniform Review

By bur146 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
bur146 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “My School Uniform” written by an anonymous girl, talks about how she feels shamed everyday by a harsh dress code at her all-girls school. The article left me feeling empowered to speak out and express who you are. I know what it like when the author writes, “I am tired of being told that my skirt is too short or that my socks are not the right color.” I used to go to a private school when I was younger, and I remember that if it was too cold I had to wear pants, and I wore pants, I had to remember my thick black belt engraved with the school’s logo. If I did forget, I would receive a “lunch with teacher,” and the teacher would list why I must dress appropriate especially while in classes with boys. It honestly was annoying because it was just a belt, and just like when the author writes, “I am tired of teachers being more worried about my uniform than they are about my education,” every night I would come home and immediately change because I had felt unsuccessful on learning something while also feeling shamed about myself. Every person deserves the right to express themselves and I believe women should speak up more often on this issue.