What’s Broken | Teen Ink

What’s Broken

By nevaehparks BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
nevaehparks BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In the issue “What’s Broken” written by Miles Pearson was a spin- tingling story that left me feeling inspired and hopeful. This story is about a school shooting. It also talks about how we need to stop gun violence and that we need to show that we have a voice and our voices are powerful. All it takes for someone to get a gun and shoot innocent people is money. He wrote, Naomi said, “For far too long, these names, these black girls and women have been just numbers. I’m here to say ‘Never again’ for those girls too. I’m here to say that everyone should value those girls too.” This story also has to do discrimination. In this story it shows you that colored people and whites don’t get treated as equal as we should. He states ,“The fact that the police are more likely to shoot a black man with a cell phone outside of his own house than a white man with a gun disgusts me.” Stories like these need to be shared. People have voices. People shouldn’t be treated like objects or mats. People are people and they should be treated the same no matter by race, religion, beliefs or anything.