Review of | Teen Ink

Review of

January 10, 2019
By alexis.-.sierra BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
alexis.-.sierra BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled "Body Language," written by Emma Seybert, talks about how you shouldn't be ashamed of who you are or how you look. Her writing left me feeling relatable and inspired. In the writing, a very important message can be found. The writing talks about a past occurrence that happened to the author. Emma Seybert talked about a time where a fellow peer of her judged her very harshly to her face, and those words hurt her. Emma was just trying to be nice and work with a fellow classmate, but when she got to the student, they said to her, "'You're fat. I don't want to be partners with you.'" The author then went home, upset. I said that this story was relatable because I have body problems, myself. Many people my age struggle with positive body image. After the author was told she was fat by the student, she went home and seemed to notice every flaw on her body, "...I was met with rolls and stretch marks that I hadn't seen until now." The author didn't seem insecure until she was told about her "flaws." Once someone gets down, it is always hard to get back "up." I know this because it happens to myself. I seem to be able to see all of my flaws at once. They can be very overpowering. What really inspired me by this story was when Emma apologized for herself, and her instructor said to her, "'Never apologize for who you are.'" That is one of the most important sayings I've ever heard. People shouldn't have to be scared of themselves or have to apologize for who they are. Everyone should be happy with themselves, and we should encourage them. This writing was written very well. She got through her story easily, and displayed a beautiful message in the text, "'Never apologize for who you are."