Mean Girls (The musical) | Teen Ink

Mean Girls (The musical)

By Geeky_Butterfly SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Geeky_Butterfly SILVER, Denver, Colorado

"We all mess up sometimes it's just about how we fix it"-Geeky_Butterfly

Okay so any fan of musical theater and really invested would know about this new broadway show. Based off of the movie Mean Girls it goes through the events that Cady wet through (The events were slightly alterd because of format). In the opening song Cautionary Tale are when we get a sort of look in the story when Barett Willbert Weed (Janice) and Gray Henson (Damin) start the song by explining that this story is a cautionary tale in the ine sung by Barett "It's a cautionary tale of fear and lust and pride" what she means by that is The story will have some points of it that will have to be taken with social caution. In the line "Sometimes mean is easier than nice" means that to some people are just evil in the highschool world and that pretty equals popualr. In my opinoin this entire concept is complety unrealistic because no one is really that mean in real life and saying that you have to be pretty, thin, and mean to be popualr is setting social standards for girls. This is why a dress code isin place so we don't "Distract the boys" during school hours, Here's my thing with this why should the girls only have to change if the boys are distacted. Why are the boys even looking because "boys will be boys" at my school I have never heard a boy say "I'm so distracted by the girls legs and or collar bone or back" (okay back on topic sorry)

The second song in the soundrack is It Roars which is our first look at Cady Heron played by Erike Henningsen and we hear how Cady wishes that she ha dmore in life in the line "I'm 16 and it's not enough" proves that she wants to move away from Africa and live like "Normal teens" and in the song her parents break th enews to her that they lost their funding so they have to move back to the USA. Cady is happy about the news and the song ends at the start of her first day at North Shore High. This song is when we start to learn things about Cady that will tie into major plot devlopment later in the musical.

The third song Where Do You Belong sang by all three of the already introduced charaters is when Damin and Janice are trying to help Cady fit in. In the song the first line is Damin singing "My momma used to tell me babay girl don't ever eat lunch on the John" And he sings this because Cady is headed there if she dosen't find a clique to fit in with. School socialness isn't based off of who you sit with at lunch because girls like Regina George (Taylor Ludermen) do not exsist in the real word and this blurs peoples out looks on highschool and what it's really like. Damin takes Cady around the lunch room until they decid that Janice and Damin's small little friend group is where she belongs.

The fouth song (one of my favorites) Meet The Plastics is where we meet our plastics and in this song we learn about the girls and what role they play in being queen bees. They then decied that Cady belongs with the plastics and Karen Smith (Kate Rockwell)  says the very iconic line "on wendsays we wear pink" the same line is repeated by all of them and they don't even give Cady a chance to speak about this

Think of this as a part 1 because I can't break this whole thing down without making this longer then like 4 buzzfeed articals so yeah 

Peace out my Butterflies and Caterpilliars