Kissing Jessica Stein | Teen Ink

Kissing Jessica Stein MAG

"KissingJessica Stein" is a low-budget romantic comedy about a neurotic New Yorkjournalist who, after a series of bad dates, decides to answer a personal ad thatcatches her eye. The only problem is that it's in the "women seekingwomen" section - and she's straight.

Thankfully, "KissingJessica Stein" lives up to its catchy concept, resulting in one ofthe best and most original romantic comedies I've seen in quite a while. It'ssort of a same-sex version of "When Harry Met Sally."

JenniferWestfeldt and Heather Juergensen, who star and give very natural and charmingperformances, also wrote the clever script. The character of Jessica might havebeen annoying if played by anyone else, but Westfeldt gives Jessica the rightamount of charm and cuteness to make us love her. Westfeldt - who is like a crossbetween Jennifer Aniston and Helen Hunt - and Juergensen, who is like a youngerJaneane Garofalo, are quite a find. They take a controversial topic and create alight and fun film that can be enjoyed by almost anyone. That's not to say itdoesn't have its serious moments, though.

I think anyone will be able torelate to "Kissing Jessica Stein." Jessica is shocked when her datewith Helen ends up being one of the best she's ever had. She's confused becauseshe has finally found someone she "clicks" with, except it's not a man,and she's not a lesbian.

Another aspect I really enjoyed was the music. Iusually don't like jazz but it fit, especially the very fun and catchy "Whenthe Special Girlfriend" by Ute Lemper.

I really appreciate theoriginality of this film and hope the Academy remembers it, come Oscar time. Itdeserves to be nominated in many categories, and should win for "BestOriginal Screenplay."

Director Charles Herman-Wurmfeld did atop-notch job. "Kissing Jessica Stein" will be a classic romanticcomedy.