Drink and Drive | Teen Ink

Drink and Drive

You were my brother, my only best friend
You promised me you’d be there until the very end
I guess you kept that promise, but why did you have to go
How could you not know that drinking and driving was a very wrong road

It’s not fair that you went to drink and it cost me my life
Do you know when I got that call it felt like a knife
Right now, I want you and miss you so much
More than anything at all I need your soft touch

I still remember the look, the laugh, the stare
When you smiled at me and told me you’d always be there
So where are you now when I need you the most
How come you had to go as soon as we got close

Why does God always have to do this to me
Is he trying to teach me something or is it beyond what I can see
I know it was for a reason and he’ll make it all alright
But why can’t I have you for just for one last night

And as much as I wish it would, the past can’t be erased
But I guess at least I know you’re in a better, safer place
You meant everything to me and I promise you still do
And a promise is a promise, so you know that what I’m saying is true

Just look over me and please try to keep me safe
And help me make it through this dark and scary place
So good bye my brother, my greatest best friend
You’ll still mean the world to me until the very end

on Nov. 14 2009 at 10:33 pm
Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

Wow i'm tearin up right now. This is an amazing poem. I feel really strongly about people drinking and driving, and get so mad when one of my friends tells me about 'this one time when I was driving drunk'. I cannot stand it. I hope this isnt true, and if it is, im so very sorry.

on Feb. 8 2009 at 12:14 am
I have a good relationship with all my siblings, except my older one. We fight a lot, but when we laugh together, it's the most amazing thing in the world. I know what you mean, keep writing, I can't wait to see you keep growing as a writer.

melinda13 said...
on Jan. 18 2009 at 12:03 am
hey, courtney.

nice job, i loved your poem. it makes me wish i wasn't always fighting with my brother. earlier today, we were shopping and my brother kept making me laugh and smile (alot more than he usually does). he really is one of my best friends. this poem is an inspiration.

melinda13

on Nov. 28 2008 at 5:37 pm
hey, that's like really sad! me and my brother don't get along at all and it makes me feel awful because your brother was your best friend and i hardly ever talk to my brother! your poem has opened my eyes to the fact that i need to spend more time with my brother, also when i was three i lost a brother so in some kinda off way i can relate i know the pain is not the same because you were really close with your brother but i do understand, thanks for your poem it really opend my eyes keep writing, and also if you get the chance could you read my sisters poem? it's called the reaping and she is really good at writing but not many people are reading her poems.

Emuhlee said...
on Nov. 15 2008 at 10:41 am
wow, i really love your poem. i can sorta relate to it. check out mine.

im almost positive you can relate to it =]

TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/62159/Different-Losts

ChristyCee said...
on Oct. 16 2008 at 9:21 pm
this is a great poem!! Check out some of mine! here's one and then click on "more by this author" TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/58175/He-Said-She-Said/

nickki_nick said...
on Oct. 15 2008 at 7:12 pm
wow out of all the amateur poem were only some were really good. but u have a real talent

c.c. said...
on Oct. 14 2008 at 11:28 pm
Thanks for giving me feedback on my poem, "Daddy's Womb." I recognized the structure of your poem right away. Learning to write in stanzas is important whether you use them or not. I applaud you.

When using punctuation though, it's best to be consistent. Either use commas, periods, and etc., or don't. My professor Cate Marvin told me this...look her up on google. Read some of her work. The best way to become a better poet is to read more poetry...perferably by someone credible. I'm sure there're plenty you'll like.

As a writer we'll write some pretty horrible things before we strike gold. I know you have potential because the emotional quality, and desire to communicate are obviously there.

carlz said...
on Oct. 9 2008 at 3:50 am
Wow. I really liked this poem. As sad as the subject is, the writing was beautiful

on Oct. 4 2008 at 12:52 am
its really good courtney. Keep it up and you will get even better

stevet said...
on Oct. 3 2008 at 1:11 pm
Hey Courtney, this is a high quality poem. Keep writing you have talent! Great JoB!

on Oct. 3 2008 at 3:53 am
Well, I'm glad everyone has liked it so far. Send this link to any friends or family that you think might like to read it: TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/56134/Drink-and-Drive/ Thanks for the support. : )

harry potter said...
on Oct. 1 2008 at 6:38 am
i loved this poem, and ur rhyming is great! itz an awesome poem =)

on Sep. 30 2008 at 1:23 am
Good work, Courtney. I can hear your voice when you write, and you bring the characters alive for the reader.

kubisak1093 said...
on Sep. 29 2008 at 11:40 pm
this would be my bestfriend poem! : )