Rust and Stardust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My love kissed her hand in the gardens,
She smiled in the most sincere way,
Always bumped into each other, pardons
Said, but I heard the words he didn’t say,
When they whispered under the new fruit tree,
And she smelled sweeter than the fruit’s
heavy scent,
When he took her hand just to ignore me,
I knew I could not go where she went,
I knew that I could never match her face,
She was always beautiful, even in death,
Her elegant bones were concealed in lace,
She’s beautiful until there’s nothing left.
But she had to disappear, dust to dust,
With one match I watched her combust to rust.

PragmaticIdealist said...
I especially loved the last two lines. Great sonnet!

mwilliams This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May I ask why?

PragmaticIdealist replied...
Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:36 am
Hmm, I guess because it is dark and beautiful yet so natural. What I mean by natural is the fact that death happens to everyone and we all become nothing eventually. I am assuming that the last lines are referring to cremation because of your lines, "She was always beautiful, even in death, Her elegant bones were concealed in lace, She’s beautiful until there’s nothing left." There is something raw about the feeling I experience when reading that. I feel satisfaction because although "the be... (more »)

When I wrote this at first it was to get back to the original intention of sonnets which primarily described love for a beautiful girl... but as usual, my darker sentiments bled through. I wrote this at the same time I wrote three other sonnets, two of which I disregarded, but the other one I always had the feeling was better than this one. This one was appreciated more in my circles and I concede that in description this one succeeded further, but with the other sonnet the ending stuck with me.... (more »)

mwilliams This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks... though this still slightly awkward...

futurista12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is beautiful.

Thanks... though this still slightly awkward... But thanks. I like the quote more than the poem.

So.. this is awkward...