Morning's Sonnet

I wake to peachy yellow morning sun,
Swirled cream in skies of light blue tea.
And though the grass is brown and overrun,
I bask in beauty only shown to me.
Footsteps fall like eyes cast to the ground,
As strangers trudge down streets of brown and grey.
While searching for the lost and never found,
People will overlook the gorgeous day.
But still, I throw back my head, grasp the wind,
And smile at the bare and bowing trees.
If only skies of morning were our kin,
And everyone was easier to please.
Mornings are peachy yellow every day,
Though sometimes skyscrapers get in the way.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hello! I see you have a very distinct set-up with your poems. Each are short but filled with so many details. I like that you wrote this poem about the morning, I find more poems about night than morning, so that's nice. I love the way you describe the sky, I never thought to describe the sky that way, that's truly beautiful. There is feeling throughtout the whole poem that is really nice, it feels very calm. I love using the metaphor of comparing the sky to people, that was brillia... (more »)

Labradorian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Hello :) Thank you for your comment, I used to write longer peices (or at least that's what it seems like) but maybe I'm just longwinded in conversation. I'm glad to have met another sky lover. (Not that the weather isn't everyones topic of choice anyway)