Shine Your Light | Teen Ink

Shine Your Light

By Hibiscus SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hibiscus SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"None of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

I know there's never ending hurt,
I know there's meaningless pain,
It seems like it’ll never stop-
There are always torrents of rain.

There's lying and revenge,
There's selfishness and pride,
Whatever evil there may be,
It’s not just in your homes: it's worldwide.

But if you keep your eyes wide open
There is always a ray of hope,
Even in the darkest places
Where you don’t think you can’t cope.

People are hungry for change,
But they don’t know a way,
If you shine your light,
Goodness might win today.

Take a look at the world around you. The world is in desperate need of people who shine their light to others.

StarSophia GOLD, Wauwatosa, WI, Wisconsin

“But it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine the clearer." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Beautiful poem and very inspiring!  People can always use a reminder to shine their light.  Keep up the great work!

on May. 19 2012 at 10:15 am
jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

This is a very beautiful and inspirational poem. I liked how you kept it simple, it really made the message that much stronger. keep it up!