My true inspiration

Sometimes I glance at the moon,
I wave at the stars.
I wonder who inspired God,
To make them, who they are.

At times, I read about the brave soldiers,
And the cruel wars they fought in.
I wonder who inspired them,
to search for the light within?

I am clumsy sir,
And at times extremely stubborn.
I suppose you showed me that,
Or perhaps my past downturn?

I use to search for the negative,
While you taught me the positive.
Maybe because I was scared,
Scared of becoming a captive.

A captive of what?
You may sincerely ask.
A captive of your inspiration,
To take on whichever task.

I have left you, my dear sir
With nothing, I must sadly say.
But you have left me with a memory
That is in my heart, to forever stay.

That memory is the inner strength,
You have helped me reached.
The memory of never failing,
No matter how low my life has seemed.

For you said, "I am a child of God
And a part of His huge creation."
So for that lesson, Mr. Attine,
You shall always be my true inspiration.

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like how you ended it, it was actually really unexpected to me the way that I read/understood it or how you wrote it, I'm not sure. The first two stanzas didn't really seem relevant to the rest of the poem. I couldn't understand why you put them in. I get the conecction, but they don't seem neccesary.

dark_armor1 replied...
May 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm :
because i wanted to explain to the ready what for me is inspiration. inspiration can mean many different things to people. so i felt that a short intro of what it is in my perspective would be a good idea to get th reader to understand where i was coming from.

dark_armor1 replied...
May 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm :
 i meant *reader

AlaskaFrost This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Another great poem! I love this one because it's simple, and this simplicity allows it to truly show how Mr. Attine was a role model - how you looked up to him with child-like wonder and awe. I don't mean that the poem is itself "childish;" for me, at least, whenever I'm inspired by someone I get that child-like curiosity and wonder. But ANYWAY, it was truly a pleasure reading this poem :)

ams98 said...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 10:35 am:

This one is by FAR my favorite of yours...its simple but the meaning makes me smile:)

I LOVE the part that says

Sometimes I glance at the moon,
I wave at the stars.
I wonder who inspired God,
To make them, who they are.

dark_armor1 replied...
Sept. 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm :
aww thank you :)

snaomi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like the first stanza because of the original idea that someone could inspire God to create.  It's just fascinating.  I feel that there are times, though, that the rhyme scheme of the poem creates a certain amount of awkwardness - like with "a captive of what/you may sincerely ask".  this line just feels a little forced.  Maybe take another look at each line individually and see if it's really saying what you want it to say.  The poem was clearly inspired by a w... (more »)

RFrocker23 said...
This is very good. Just some picky stuff: reached should be reach and in the line "That is in my heart, to forever stay" I'd suggest taking out the forever to add a little more rhythm.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really like this poem, my favourite verse is the first one because i like the way it rhymes! i think it's writtenj really well, and i think it's great the way you liked your teacher so much!  

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like how you loosely rhymed things in a not-so-pushy way! :) it made things flow nicely and i love the first stanza the most. i must say just to let youknow that thte second line of the second to last stanza is a bit messed up. you did a wonderful job of putting thoughts into my the reader's0 head! good job. i'm sure your teacher loved reading it!

dark_armor1 replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm :
lol what i ment by "with nothing, i muslt sadly say" is because i had to leave my school out of nowhere so i dint get to say bye to him or give him a hug or anything. so thats what i ment with nothing. but thank you!

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm :
no, i was talking about the second line of the second to last stanza! it says you have helped me reached. that doesn't make sense, i think you mean either you have helped me reach or you have helped be reached. the grammars a little off there. i was just pointing that out to you because you most likely overlooked that. :)

dark_armor1 replied...
May 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm :
ohhh haha gotcha ! thanks :)

MagicMan2011 said...
Great Job! This poem really got me thinking about what inspires all of us.

dark_armor1 replied...
Aug. 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm :
good im glad :)

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hah. Great thoughts in the opening stanzas, and ending in rhyme was a good moce. 

dark_armor1 replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:11 am :
thank you!