High school | Teen Ink

High school

By hannahbee7 DIAMOND, Boca Raton, Florida
hannahbee7 DIAMOND, Boca Raton, Florida

"You know you’re a writer if your friend tells you a heartbreaking story and your first reaction is – wow, that would make an incredible plot for a novel. You know you’re a smart writer if you manage to keep that reaction to yourself."

Winner takes all
looser takes none
welcome to high school
isn't this fun?

The games can get hard
and then they're confusing
but ultimate death
is the concept of loosing

Back stabing
fingers crossed
hearts broken
friendships lost

High school is hard
but it's just a game
we all want to live
want to make our name

Highschool... ugh

InkyOwl GOLD said...
on Mar. 18 2018 at 7:54 pm
InkyOwl GOLD, Bloomington, Indiana

Where Words fail, Music speaks.
~Hans Christian Anderson

High School...You think that it's going to be like High School Musical, but then reality hits you in the face like a brick. Welcome to life!

on Jun. 1 2016 at 11:34 am
FallenAngel11283 PLATINUM, Cincinnati , Ohio
I was bullied a lot in the 4th grade, mostly girls did the bullying (mean girls) High School sucks I know but at the end of the day you still have your mind and you can choose to be the bigger person and forgive them. High School is just a small part of your life it doesn't last forever. So hang in there keep your head up and smile, I love love love this piece keep up the good work :)

katikat00 said...
on Nov. 4 2015 at 10:00 am
katikat00, White Castle, Louisiana
I like this poem because I can relate to it easily. When you say “The games can get hard and then they're confusing” I feel as though I can relate to this well because I thought high school was going to be all fun and games, but it’s a great deal of hard work.

mimirooney said...
on Apr. 9 2014 at 6:20 pm
I don't think that the author meant to do that. She probably just wanted to get her feelings out out in the open about high school. Also, i learned that the rhyming scheme doesn't necessarily have to be that way, because they can differ (Shakespeare and Italian sonnets).  In the end i think that poetry is about expressing yourself, not necessarily about fulfiling requirements. But,  this is my opinion, and i really appreciate the work the author put in writing this. Good job!

on Apr. 8 2014 at 7:32 pm
KaiLeena PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you."
— Bob Marley

That is so true. I am a junior and it never stops no matter where you go. I wish people would see what they are doing to us.

on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:23 pm
so true! i am learning it in my core L.A. class and that "sonnet" isn't a sonnet because of the abab cdcd efef gg with 14 lines and 10 syllables im in 8th grade btw so :)

bjmm22 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 2 2014 at 4:28 pm
bjmm22 BRONZE, White Plains, New York

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

That format is strictly for English, or Shakespearian sonnets. There are many form of sonnet. You are right, however, that this is not one of those forms.

utility BRONZE said...
on Aug. 20 2012 at 9:30 pm
utility BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
noooooo this isn't a sonnet.  sonnets are 14 lines with 10 syllables in each line in blank verse form (as in every other syllable is emphasized).  their rhyming scheme is ABABCDCDEFEFGG.  this fulfulls literally none of those requirements aaah

on Aug. 20 2012 at 8:09 pm
Mimi15 PLATINUM, Belfast, Maine
This was so insightful. You're a fantastic writer. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinion of my poem Broken Structure. Cheers. :)

on Jul. 29 2012 at 1:33 am
nurbanumessi BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia

"If you are worrying, you are not praying hard enough."

I like it, though I am pretty sure you mean "losing" instead of loosing...

on Jun. 15 2012 at 12:37 pm
AdelaideEvangeline BRONZE, Newnan, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

If you Saddle the Horse, You gotta ride it out. ~Me

Very well written but not the format of a Sonnet ;)

A Sonnets Format is:

ABAB

CDCD

EFEF

GG

A total of 14 lines. 4 versus. No more now less :)

on May. 24 2012 at 6:55 pm
michaela mrianda BRONZE, Temporary, Other
great poem hits highschool on the spot. keep it up.

on May. 24 2012 at 6:53 pm
high school is just like middle school just mabe a little more drama work will get a little harder but there are more choices and a lot of electives to choose from as well as clubes if you want to join...( i was scared to on my first day. you will do fine)

gingy PLATINUM said...
on May. 2 2012 at 8:36 pm
gingy PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

Embrace your inner nerd!

I like the structure. The rhyme scheme gives a sing-song quality to the poem which goes with the mocking some kids recieve in high school. The end is abrupt and a little shakey but over all great poem. Not sure its true sonnet format though.

J1029 SILVER said...
on May. 2 2012 at 8:25 pm
J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida

Sing like no one is listening,
Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you've never been hurt and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

- Mark Twain

I'm only in 8th grade and now I'm kinda scared to go to high school :(

p.s. the poem was well written keep writing more :)

on May. 2 2012 at 7:08 pm
pianokeysevie SILVER, Clinton, Maryland

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

so true.. middle school all over, we're just a bit older:P

leolewis said...
on Feb. 4 2012 at 10:45 pm
leolewis, Bedford, Indiana
Highschool blows.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 5:01 pm
Jenny1397 BRONZE, Bayamon, Other
Its cool but this isnt a sonnet. The first two verses are supposed to have four lines. The other two are only to have only three lines, to have a total of fourteen lines in total. And its supposed to have ten syllables per line, because sonnets are of major art. The poem is great and all but, it isnt a sonnet. Probably free verse though.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 3:01 pm
Savannalore SILVER, North Branch, South Dakota

Art is all about mistakes and knowing which ones to keep.

Cute...but it isn't a sonnet. Sonnets have fourteen lines, ten syllables per line, and are commonly written in iambic pentameter. This certainly is in the wrong section.

Zander said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 5:25 pm
The words "losing" and "loser" only have one "o"... Sorry to be a bit of a stick in the mud about thing. Still, pretty good.