Facades in the Sunlight | Teen Ink

Facades in the Sunlight

By polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

In daylight’s glow, they stood by my side, With laughter and promises, wide-eyed. Together we dreamt under the azure sky, In their warmth, I never thought to question why.

But came a day, I reached out, yearning for their time, “Busy,” they claimed, in a chorus, an echoed chime. With a heavy heart, I wandered, seeking solace in the mall, There, amidst the crowd, their truth began to sprawl.

Hand in hand, they walked, a merry band so tight, Without me, laughing, basking in delight. In that moment, the betrayal cut deep, a serrated knife, Their deceit, a shadow, overcasting my life.

The pain of seeing, not hearing, their truth unveiled, In silence, my heart wept, in solitude, I paled. From sunlight’s grace to shadows’ embrace, I transitioned, Learning that facades in light, by darkness, are conditioned.

This sonnet addresses the sting of discovering friends’ duplicity firsthand, portraying betrayal. Initially, it describes a seemingly strong bond, only to reveal the painful reality experienced upon seeing these friends together, enjoying themselves without you.