Birds

The girls all laugh
at what they are expected to
She doesn't think
of what she is expected to

The girls all know
How different one of their own is
How she sees the world
in notes, beats, rhythm and music

And she looks, up
from the crowd
Beautifully, they
sing and dance on stage

She wants to fly away

The boys all play
For the status they are meant to
He doesn't play
For anyone but himself

The boys, they know
How different one of their own is
Watching his world
Crash and burn because they don't put him in

So he looks, down
From the couch
on TV, they
Have won another game

He wants to fly away

One day she'll go
Where musicians are meant to
One day he'll go
Where football stars are meant to

Nobody knows
How different one of their own is
We go along
with what's simple, easy, and safest
with what's stupid, lazy, and lamest

I look up
The birds look down
on the world, they
Have managed to escape

I look up
From the ground
at the birds; Say
Before we all break...

We have to fly away.

theblondechickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 12:55 pm:
I love this so much! (I added it onto my favorites list) It's beauitful

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 6:55 pm :
Wow! Thank you, I'm honored! :) loved your Red Cannon by the way, such an engaging story!

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 30 at 5:33 pm:
relateable and amazing ! i love the meaning behind this, post up more work soon =)

Jan. 31 at 1:37 pm :
Thank you, I really appreciate it :) And no prob, working on another short story now :)

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 26 at 5:43 am:
So I was randomly giving feedbacks on link on the chat when, yet again, I stumbled upon you. Beautifully written, relatable, and effective, I like your title, and the amazing ending, too. All places where words 'up' and 'down' were used were beautiful. Congratulations. S

Jan. 26 at 6:37 pm :
When hey again! :) You're so sweet, thank you, it means so much to me :)

DragonToungThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 25 at 6:05 pm:
Absolutley stunning. Amazing work, and this is coming from a non-poetry lover! 

Jan. 26 at 6:36 pm :
Thanks so much :)