Take in the Beach | Teen Ink

Take in the Beach

By ZoeHocker BRONZE, San Diego, California
ZoeHocker BRONZE, San Diego, California

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
-- FDR

As I am lying on the warm sand of Coronado’s beautiful beach, the waves are crashing at my feet, creating the sweetest music in the world. I wish right at this moment that I could record the sounds so that I could listen to them every day, but sadly, I have nothing to record the sounds with. So why don’t you just lie down next to me, and join me in the moment?
Take in the music. The waves rolling like quiet thunder, disruptive yet peaceful. We long to swim in those waves, those lovely waves, and we crave for them to take us with them wherever they might be going.
Take in the sand in between our toes. That soft, soft sand that warms up every part of our bodies that it touches. It is not that rough, thick sand that we might get at certain beaches—it is nice and soft, and it appeals to our senses. We can’t help but wonder… how many little pebbles of sand are there on this beach alone?
Take in the clear blue sky above us. That endless azure ceiling, and the bright sun beating its rays onto our bare skin. Not a cloud in sight, not a thought in our heads. Pure bliss; that is what this is.
Ignore all of the people around us—the people with white noses, and straw hats, who are wearing vomit-colored Hawaiian shirts, and who are blocking the sun with giant multi-color umbrellas. They are only here to visit, whereas we are here to stay.
Focus on the dolphins, gliding in and out of the water, as if it were the most effortless thing in the world. We yearn to be like dolphins, and to live in the water where we could also be free.
Can you smell that? The salty air, the refreshing and non-polluted air? It smells divine. It smells as if the world has only just been born, and there is absolutely nothing but sand and water.
Put your hair down, friend, and feel the cool rush of wind play around with your golden mane. Let us enjoy this breeze, refreshing us after hours under the blazing-hot sun.
Take in that gorgeous sunset. Who knew that cerulean sky could turn into a mixture of orange and pink tones in only a matter of hours? We see the sun go down slowly but surely behind the now shadowy water, until there is only a tiny strip of blaring daylight left… and it is gone!
Now it is starting to get dark, and there are bonfires that are starting to come up along the beach, but you and I are too busy gazing at the stars to notice the orange flickers. We can see the Big Dipper, and the Little Dipper. We start to feel our bodies loosen up, and float, as if gravity was slowly lessening… We could touch the moon; it seems so close to our faces.
How would it be to float in space, and never be chained to the earth, like a prisoner of the world? We would visit other beaches of a whole other universe, and swim in a purple ocean, instead of blue. We would sit on the moon, that large chunk of cheese, and wave at the earth as it passes by. How small it looks to us now, like an apple we could grab out of thin air and take a juicy bite from.
Can you feel the sand getting colder underneath us? It takes us out of our fantasies and back into harsh reality. Darkness is creeping towards us, marking the end of a glorious day, but simultaneously marking the start of a splendid night.
We start to feel a bit drowsy, and the chilly night air surrounds us like a blanket. The ocean’s soft movements in the background are like a child’s lullaby, trying to rock me to sleep. I feel its magic working as I drift into a sleep full of dreams of fishes, and under-sea adventures…

cfree said...
on Apr. 26 2013 at 8:45 am
cfree, Walker, Michigan
i can picture everything so clearly

ZoeHocker BRONZE, San Diego, California

-- FDR

Thank you so much!

NewYorkLove BRONZE, Delray Beach, Florida

"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."-Marilyn Monroe
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous."-Coco Chanel

I love these lyrics!! I can totally see you being a songwriter<3