Lost Causes

I decided today
I was in love.
My heart didn’t thump
Like a thousand drums,
And I could speak
As clearly as I always have.
My vision didn’t go blurry
Or my head feel light and faint.
I wasn’t overwhelmed
By a title wave of emotions.
And I didn’t decide this
With a passionate kiss,
A romantic love letter,
Or a tearful goodbye.
But when I told him
I hated him
And was sick of being with him,
He smiled and
Walked away,
As if I didn’t have anything
To hold him anyway.
It was like I had
Hurt myself more than
I had hurt him.
Maybe I loved him,
Maybe I still do.
Or maybe, just maybe,
I love lost causes.

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like how this was kind of turned by its corner a little so that it was something most people don't write about, that it was unique... Ps. Please check out my work???? =D

strangefirecrackers said...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:12 am
I really liked reading this. I had a lot of mixed feelings when reading this. It was simply beautiful. 

Natasha M. said...
i enjoy this because i feel alot alike.  but instead of i hate you, i told him i wanted to watch him swallow his teeth and he knew i meant it. but some how i do care.

MercedesXO said...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 12:17 am

awww. wow. I LOVE THIS!! honestly, like it is soooo great and i bet tons of people can relate. i always make the same mistake. i'm constantly screwing up relationships (not just romantic ones..but relationships in general) and i think i always do it because i'm the one afraid of getting hurt..then in the end, i'm the one hurting myself. it sucks:(

but i really enjoyed this. and you did any excellent job. LOVE the ending, and how you come to realize that maybe that IS what you love inst... (more »)

Inherinerd said...
I liked the way she fell in love but i found it hard to find the emotion in the poem. still i like your writing skills.

moonpetal said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 9:50 am
I liked it, I like how you showed people can be true to themselfs.I don't think the narrator hurt herself though because she didn't sound like she loved him loved him. Like she loved the idea of love-if you have heard of it. So it was good for her to move on.I liked the tempo it made it flow really well. Well done! :)

Louis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like how the light tone of the poem makes it so fluid to read. i also like how you make the reader feel so symathic towards the narrator. good job!

INnaturegirl said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 7:28 am
~so do i and i dont know y~
wow i love this! awesome job!

Evelyn replied...
beauuuttttttiiiifffullllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!