905-WORLD | Teen Ink

905-WORLD

By Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other
Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." (Matthew 7:5) and "All the poeple who supported slavery were free, all the people who support abortion live..."

If you called the world on a telephone,
would anyone pick up when your name on Caller ID was shown?
Or would they let it go to their answering machine,
thinking your message was a prank from a rowdy teen?
And if the world called you on your cell,
would you listen to what it had to tell?
Or would you let it ring for hours on end,
what it has to say does not affect me you’d pretend.
But whether you’d hang up is not the point I’m trying to make,
I wanted to inform you of what’s at stake,
when you turn your back on the world as it calls for you,
and put off responding for I can tell you what will ensue.
Come the day you need the world to receive your speech,
no one will show up and hear what you have to preach.
The lesson will be lost,
who knows at what cost,
and all you have to do to make sure this doesn’t occur,
is interrupt your ringtone and answer her.

Act! Pick up the phone and ACT! ReAct! DO! Help fix our world.

on Jun. 25 2013 at 10:57 pm
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! I think that you did a wonderful job with this. I really enjoyed every aspect of this. The concept is really interesting. The rhymes are really good, they flow very well. Everything came together very well. I love the message that you get across! You're a very talented writer and I look forward to reading more of your work.

on Jun. 25 2013 at 6:43 pm
GraphicWriter DIAMOND, Yuba City, California
Incredible. Pulling. And when I say that, I mean it pulls you to Act, to do something, and pick up that 'phone.'

on May. 6 2013 at 9:23 pm
kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

Fantastic! I love your rhyme scheme. It's very simple but effective, and your message is magnificent. 5/5! I l really enjoy the symbolism of a telephone, something so commonly used, but something so commonly abused. I also appreciate the way you accommodated today's use of Called ID to discriminate against and avoid others. Best of all, I absolutely enjoyed the twist at the end. This girl prevails something much more important, sharing the message that the speaker has feelings and just wants her audience to listen. Overall, this poem is an absolute joy to read. Thank you for posting it (:

SongBird04 said...
on May. 5 2013 at 9:41 pm
SongBird04, Littleton, Colorado

You've gotta take the good with the bad, smile when you're sad, love what you got and remember what you had. Always forgive but never forget, learn from your mistakes but never regret. People change and things go wrong but always remember life goes on

You are a very talented writer, I'm enjoying reading your poetry! Keep it up. :) 

on Mar. 30 2013 at 7:21 pm
Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other

You...could interpret it that way.

on Mar. 30 2013 at 7:18 pm
Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other

I know what you mean, that's why I love and hate limericks because they're hard but beautiful when done right. Some just sound awful because people get desperate for a good rhyme that it disrupts the poem.

on Mar. 29 2013 at 9:00 pm
Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Hmm..... creative. I know you were talking about the world, about speaking out and listening, but  the last part "Listen to her" made it sound like you had a double meaning. Like there was a girl who WAS the world for the speaker. Is that any part of what you meant....?

Mckay ELITE said...
on Mar. 29 2013 at 4:24 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I don't know why I feel this way but I do. I tend to think limmericks are cheesey. But this is not. It has a great message that everyone should heed.

on Mar. 24 2013 at 10:59 am
LoonyLoopyLupin GOLD, Raynham, Massachusetts

"I am proud of who I am. I believe in what I do." -Pavel Chekov (Star Trek The Original Series, episode: "The Way To Eden")

I like this piece. It has a good message, and the telephone metaphor was a nice, creative choice. This isn't like most limericks I've come to know, but the rhyming and bright rhythm the piece has does bring the limerick to mind. I love how you addressed such a serious issue with a light, melodic kind of verse. Nice job. :)  

on Jan. 31 2013 at 4:10 pm
iimoeloveii GOLD, Augusta, Georgia

IF YOU CAN'T HANG THEN THERE'S THE DOOR-SLEEPING WITH SIRENS

cool poem it is awesome

AmyLeigh GOLD said...
on Jan. 28 2013 at 7:10 pm
AmyLeigh GOLD, Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

“One thing about human beings that puzzles me the most is their conscious effort to be connected with the object of their affection even if it kills them slowly within.”
- Sigmund Freud

As someone else already said, I'm not quite sure this is truly in the style of a limerick, but it still reads really well, so that's not a big issue. I really liked this, especially the title, which first captured my attention. I love the concept as well, really creative! :)

on Jan. 24 2013 at 12:20 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
Yeah, I know, I was just being facetious.

on Jan. 23 2013 at 8:14 pm
kaitlynisweird SILVER, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
I kind of liked the concept of the poem although I'm not sure if this is the right form of a limerick.

on Jan. 23 2013 at 8:13 pm
The world doesn't LITERALLY have a gender, as far as I know. It's a poem. It's metaphoric.  Then again, "Mother Earth" or "Mother Nature" are common terms.

on Jan. 23 2013 at 4:44 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
Additionaly, why do you assume that the world is a 'her'?  And I think the world wouldn't have a number... because it's line would constantly be busy with complaints and the world wouldn't be able to hire enough people to deal with it. :)  

on Jan. 23 2013 at 4:42 pm
prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
If you want people to care about you, you gotta care about others... thas what I got from this.  Love ya, rolledthestone...but I think if I got a telephone call from "WORLD", I'd be pretty creeped out... we got an expert hacker on our hands ! *cough*cough*

on Jan. 20 2013 at 8:54 pm
Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other

As you wish m'lady.

Kris_10 GOLD said...
on Jan. 20 2013 at 5:05 pm
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

even though the pattern of a limerick is supposed to be aabb, its not actually that easy to do. the number of syllables in a sentence can make it sound rythmic or not. You did an amazing job a capturing that pattern. and the message it sends makes it even better.

also, could you please give me feedback on my poem game point?