The Shadow of a Distant Shore | Teen Ink

The Shadow of a Distant Shore

By polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Beyond the bustling town's embrace, Where the sea meets the sky in a tight-knit lace, Lived a painter, with a vision grand, To capture the sea, with a gentle hand.

His days spent in the shadow of his easel's frame, A world of color, seeking fame. His dream: to bring the ocean's might, Onto canvas, capturing its light.

But whispers in taverns, under the glow of the moon, Mocked his ambition, called him a loon. "An artist's life is no life at all, Chasing the waves, heeding the call."

With every stroke, his resolve did wane, Under the weight of ridicule and disdain. The canvas remained, forever bare, A testament to the dream he wouldn't dare.

Years trickled by, like sand through the glass, His colors faded, along with the chance to surpass. Till one eve, as the sun dipped low, The painter watched the ocean's show.

In the twilight of life, his spirit did confess, A sea of regret, of dreams in distress. The village sleeps, but sometimes, at night, They speak of a ghost, in the soft moonlight.

The narrative is a poignant reflection on the regrets that come with unfulfilled dreams and the haunting beauty of what is left unfinished.