Top Voted Free Verse Poems

Here are the top voted free verse poems:

voted
#1
I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am from My green blankey and Climbing out of my crib From playing mermaid in the bathtub. I am from walking my dog, And the noise he made when I step on his tail. I am from my sheep nightlight And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain... (more »)
295 comments
voted
#2
All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Books fill up my room. Not baseball cards, or pictures of girls, or basketballs. Maybe a blown up picture of … … Pam Anderson might help. Black-framed glasses and a white, pale, lanky body. I should start working out. At least... (more »)
1440 comments
voted
#3
Just Like You This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Feet dangle inches above Tantalizingly taunting … They strive to graze the bicycle’s pedals, Just as my hands strive to emerge From the lemon yellow dress You handed down to me. My slow growth is too far behind Your quick judgment,... (more »)
291 comments
voted
#4
Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Their eyes tell silent stories. Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts. These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of. They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.... (more »)
343 comments
voted
#5
Papaya Warmth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     There are blackberriesNestled in my curls,And beneath the thorns The dark treasures lurk. And spiraling down my neck,A grapevine grows,The bright berries shaking merrily as I step.And if you breathe lightly, You can... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#6
Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up. Her lips were mushed together in a Horrible shade of red They buried my mother in a white dress And red lips. And she couldn’t see. Where are your glasses, Mommy? And still at sixteen I bring them to... (more »)
785 comments
voted
#7
Another Metaphor of Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
bubbles. god’s just a little kid with a big bottle of Miracle Bubbles and a wand dipping, blowing these bubbles all doomed to pop at one point or another. they either drop too fast, before he can catch them, or the biggest ones... (more »)
276 comments
voted
#8
Hacker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Strangely enough, the same wave of panic sweeps through my mind And something stills in my gut Just to see her face reappear on the computer screen as before. She was back. She was back in some shape or form In my life and the lives of... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#9
Cloak of Words This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The tale-teller Dons upon her A sun-and-moon cloak Of majestic radiance. Colors of red, Orange, Yellow, Hot-tempered and lively, Bright and warm, Like Autumn leaves, Twisting and turning, In golden sunlight. Like the cackles... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#10
Penning Chivalry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Between school daze and summer knights I sit in my scholarly tower, Penning chivalry of the noblest sort. The epitome of manhood, Black ink spurs forth his college-ruled steed, toward the spiral-bound damsel in distress. She is held... (more »)
77 comments
voted
#11
Today This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The shrill waves of a French horn thrust me out of my gentle sleep, Signaling me to start my day once again. My hands flow through chores without question or concern, As if they have a mind of their own. Next, my feet drag my wilting body... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#12
Slow Daybreak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The sun is my alarm. Waking me and laying me down every moon rise. A slow sun for play and a long morning on its way. Just when time stops, cars freeze and the breeze is caught stealing a leaf from my maple tree. My hair stuck in one place.... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#13
Distance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I feel like we are falling apart. Somewhere deep inside of me, I know it’s true. I don’t want to believe it – I don’t want to believe we have drifted because of the distance. The way I speak to you and the way you speak to me Our... (more »)
272 comments
voted
#14
In Their Beds This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In their beds, In the dark, They sleep, They dream, And then they hear That music oh-so-clear. The flutes are dancing, Pirouetting, Singing a sweet melody. Clarinets, they back the sound Humming in pure harmony. Mallets... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#15
Superhero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
A superhero without tights would be half naked. An uncomfortable situation such as this could have been avoided had you, Mr. Superhero, not gotten dressed in the dark. (more »)
8 comments
voted
#16
Highways This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Listen when the cars zoom over the street They tell stories to the bits of gravel They are embedded in. Their engines sing Of all the places they’ve been, but just Couldn’t stand to leave, so they take pieces Of the past with them, until... (more »)
4 comments