Top Voted Free Verse Poems

Here are the top voted free verse poems:

voted
#1
Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
i asked my father if i could swim, and he said that i would drown. The Sea would imprison me – he said if my feet had left the ground. So i walked out to the water, and cried out – how ’bout now! He said, a little bit further, Son,... (more »)
2058 comments
voted
#2
Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I watch this flame pass from match to wick, gently stepping over a great divide. This flame and I are not so different: it comes into being from nothingness; it eats and grows, smokes, and rests. It gets angry, destroys homes, consumes... (more »)
275 comments
voted
#3
I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I am from My green blankey and Climbing out of my crib From playing mermaid in the bathtub. I am from walking my dog, And the noise he made when I step on his tail. I am from my sheep nightlight And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain... (more »)
340 comments
voted
#4
Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up. Her lips were mushed together in a Horrible shade of red They buried my mother in a white dress And red lips. And she couldn’t see. Where are your glasses, Mommy? And still at sixteen I bring them to... (more »)
809 comments
voted
#5
All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Books fill up my room. Not baseball cards, or pictures of girls, or basketballs. Maybe a blown up picture of … … Pam Anderson might help. Black-framed glasses and a white, pale, lanky body. I should start working out. At least... (more »)
1485 comments
voted
#6
If I Were in Charge of the World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
(Apologies to Judith Viorst)If I were in charge of the worldMy favorite flip-flops would never wear out.There would be no books of poems with the last page missing,No hairy spiders to hide in the corners.If I were in charge of the worldI would... (more »)
241 comments
voted
#7
What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
What I could never tell my mother Isn’t her fault; it’s mine It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed She could accept them – those things – I’m sure Maybe even love them the way she loves me;... (more »)
340 comments
voted
#8
Picture Street This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Time will reveal everything I want to know now. I wish time was just the name of a street. I’d drive a black car up and down time. I’d be happy. (more »)
198 comments
voted
#9
Wishing for Amnesia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Memories marred by the attempts to delete them, She doesn’t know what really happened anymore. The Incident becomes incidents become “it happens all the time.” Now all she knows Is that it happens all the time. Denial becomes excuses... (more »)
242 comments
voted
#10
I Take Back My Tears This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I take back my tears the wasted years I spent crying for what never could happen I take back my heart my shattered heart Up off the ground and back in my arms I take back my hope wasted on you and toss it aside for it has no meaning... (more »)
463 comments
voted
#11
Another Metaphor of Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
bubbles. god’s just a little kid with a big bottle of Miracle Bubbles and a wand dipping, blowing these bubbles all doomed to pop at one point or another. they either drop too fast, before he can catch them, or the biggest ones... (more »)
290 comments
voted
#12
Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Their eyes tell silent stories. Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts. These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of. They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.... (more »)
362 comments
voted
#13
I Got the Joy! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I got the joy to pop the corn side the walk swing the set mock the bird glow the worm gas the light To break the fast ice the box stair the well school the boys bubble the gum french the kiss To yellow the fever treasure the... (more »)
87 comments
voted
#14
Bookworms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Boy walks, nose-deep into small print of a yellow book, zig-zags down treacherous levels of stairs as if only his feet sense his whereabouts and ankle-up the kudzu, the other worlds enchanted anchor him. He reads as if studying atom... (more »)
89 comments
voted
#15
The Journey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
They say it’s all about the journey, I used to disagree. Because I loved the destination but now I start to see That when I finally get there, I think about the time When we outsang the radio and thought we sounded fine. The many fights... (more »)
239 comments
voted
#16
Distance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I feel like we are falling apart. Somewhere deep inside of me, I know it’s true. I don’t want to believe it – I don’t want to believe we have drifted because of the distance. The way I speak to you and the way you speak to me Our... (more »)
275 comments