Skin Deep | Teen Ink

Skin Deep

By hasina BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
hasina BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I'm my own shrink, think things are after me, my catastrophe. I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means because a kitchen sink to me.....is not a kitchen sink to you" -Twenty-One Pilots, Kitchen Sink

"The man says he doesn't love me and he doesn't love me. Then man tells me who he is and I listen" -Olivia Gatwood, Alternate Universe In Which I Am Unfazed By The Men Who Do Not Love Me

"Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die" -Panic! At The Disco, TWTLTRTD

"I have stopped bringing flowers to the grave of the teenager I used to be" Blythe Biard

"Of all the weapons you fight with, your silence is the most violent" Paramore, Tell Me How

"The sun will rise, and we will try again" Twenty-One Pilot, Truce

"Someone will love you" Halsey, Sorry

Largest organs we as humans possess, my body is covered in skin. I know that’s not news to you but it’s new to me. When noticing things about myself, I’ll admit my skin is not where I begin.

But others do.

And it wasn’t long before I did too.

“It’s good skin” I tell myself, trying not to forget.

The things in my head are not conveyed through my skin, so I didn’t understand why people so hung up over something so juvenile, at least I didn’t yet.

See as a child the taunts didn’t offend me, until I found out it was supposed to. I had a set of things not to say so I didn’t become their stereotype, styles to wear my hair so it resembled my lighter classmates. I wish I had told myself:

“It’s not skin deep” That way my reflection in the mirror would not taunt me and say

“Oh what will you do?” but to say instead

“I love you too”

This piece is about self acceptance and self love. Becoming one with your skin and deciding to love it. I struggled with self love for some time and as an African American woman it was hard to accept the shade you are when society tells you it isn't beautiful. Sometimes I listened other times I threw on a fake smile. This piece is abiut replacing the face smile with a new one saying "I'm Black and I'm proud, my life matters, I matter."