The Mimosa Tree | Teen Ink

The Mimosa Tree

By megan.mcentee BRONZE, West Linn, Oregon
megan.mcentee BRONZE, West Linn, Oregon

Branches knot tightly together like fibrous strands of embroidery string.
The song of the mimosa tree lilts,
jumps from breeze to breeze
creates a pathway,
draws me in.

As smooth and familiar as pencil to paper
The graphite slides off splintered wood
My brother’s hand guide it.
The same hands with knuckles pristine and velvety from the lack of knocking,
The same hands climbing the mimosa tree and grasping at it’s knots and folds of embroidery string.
The same hands that collected tears
When willow branches shrouded our door.

Every footprint in these soft wood floors
Filled with drops of saltwater and dimmed starlight.
the compelling scent of rosemary
replaced with dust settling on faded leaves.

But as the clock ticks on
The pools dry up
Leaving grains of salt and dim streaks on small footprints
Warmth returns to this place
And the embroidery string ravels back up
To the mimosa tree.

To Whom It May Concern-
My name is Megan, and I am a student in high school in Oregon. I am a passionate writer, and I love to write in lots of different genres. My favorite is poetry, because I feel like I can really convey emotion in a way that not a lot of other platforms allow me to do. The poem I am choosing to submit is one that I wrote about my life at home throughout my childhood. It is titled The Mimosa Tree because it is a symbol in my life for consistency and strength. There is a large mimosa tree in my backyard, and no matter how many times I have thought it was dying, it has grown taller and stronger with each day. I wrote this poem about the consistencies and inconsistencies I have encountered throughout my life so far. Even though there are still marks of those hard times left behind, I have continued to grow as a person.
I aim to write about things that matter to me and will possibly matter to other people. I hope you consider publishing me in your magazine, and thank you so much for your consideration!