Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

December 18, 2017
By cupcakeliv16 BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
cupcakeliv16 BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am from piano keys playing a melody and the bouncing of a basketball.

I am from one home, the one filled with love and happiness, and my favorite place by the pear tree, blooming in the spring, with the sound of robin’s songs.

I am from the birds nests, roses, and carrots growing in the garden.

I am from singing voices and brush strokes on a canvas.

From Leon and Cecil, my ancestors just to visit, then pass, but using their time wisely.

From “always try your hardest” and “it isn’t the end of the world from a heartbreak”.

I am from the hunger of determination on never giving up.

From the Grandmother that sang On Calvary to the Aunt that sang the melody.

I am from all these things.

That began, where I’m from.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for a school assignment. I chose to write my poem about home because it made me think about the smaller things in life. My hope is that when others read my poem, it makes them think about the smaller things in life, showing that it's not just the big things that happen in life that are important, but also notice little things.