Real and Imagined Progress | Teen Ink

Real and Imagined Progress

December 13, 2017
By Britt.Mariee18 BRONZE, Foristell, Missouri
Britt.Mariee18 BRONZE, Foristell, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I stand there laughing with my friends and their laughter wraps around me like a warm blanket.


My laughter stops as I take notice of the monster in the corner.


Its black form looms over me and its eyes are cutting into mine.


Please, I was doing so good, don’t come any closer.


I plead with it but the monster doesn’t want to listen.


It gives me a sharp crooked smile and suddenly wraps his entire body around me.


I am one with this monster.


Did you really think I wouldn’t come back? You know you are nothing without me.


The monster whispers into my ear and his voice sounds like knives rubbing against each other.


I can feel the monster pushing horrific thoughts into my head and I feel as if I am going crazy.


I was just laughing with my friends moments ago and now I feel as if I can barely breathe.


The monster is so incredibly heavy.


The monster forces me to speak.


Hey, I’m going to go home, I don’t feel so good. I have some homework to do anyway.


I watch as all my friends frown at me, it’s a lie. The monster doesn’t let me do homework, it only allows me to lay in bed.


The monster wraps its arms tightly around me as I finally enter my room.


Now that I am alone, the monster’s hold only becomes stronger and more suffocating.


Remember that you are worthless, and don’t deserve any love. Why are you even trying? You know that I will always get you.


The monster whispers this to me and I squeeze my eyes shut.


I have escaped its clutches before and I’ll do it again.


There will be days where you will not control me and that is what I fight for.


My voice sounds weak and the monster tries to convince me that this is a lie.


I start to settle in because it is so much easier than fighting.


Yet I remind myself that the monster will go.


It won’t every true leave but I will fight it off enough to breathe again.


And it will lurk and watch over me waiting for its next chance to pounce.